Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: No pears  (Read 11703 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: No pears
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 08:05:55 am »
Thank you Denmyine, that's really informative  :)   we've planted some new pear tree's this spring so really hoping to be making Perry in the next few years!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 10:46:22 am »
good stuff plum

hereford and gloucestershire and surrounding areas offer loads organisations to help with perry pears

http://www.gloucestershireorchardgroup.org.uk/community/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=118

be a while before yours are this big though  ;D

http://denmylne.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/monorgan/

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 01:03:34 pm »
Wow! that is huge! Ours are currently little more than sticks in the ground but I have high hopes for them  :tree:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 10:24:05 pm »
My pear tree is a family tree with three varieties grafted onto one root - conference, concorde and William something or other.  This is to aid pollination apparently.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 08:37:17 am »
I have no black currents this year. I only planted the apple trees last winter so no apples but even my strawberries have been poor.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 09:48:12 am »
I have forgotten what strawberries look like! I may have had 1 or 2 from the plants in the greenhouse, even they got nibbled by slugs  :rant:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 05:41:24 pm »
I have forgotten what strawberries look like! I may have had 1 or 2 from the plants in the greenhouse, even they got nibbled by slugs  :rant:

One of my ram lambs opened the bolt on their gate and let all 5 of them out. They ate all of our strawberries and what they missed, the woodlice finished off  >:(

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 08:36:10 pm »
I want to brag :-J ...............got 8 raspberries tonight! ;D
Mandy :pig:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 10:30:34 pm »
Denmy..thanks for the post re heritage trees - fascinating stuff  :thumbsup: , learnt a lot.  Bramleys ok but have scab :( .  Got 1 greengage ::) and about 10 Victoria plums.

denmylne

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 02:33:27 pm »
No problem folks

the "pears for your heirs" project was set up 2 years ago, when i grafted 100 pyrus communis rootstock with the remaining "known" heritage varieties. since many of the trees are down to there last known examples eg, lindores, seggieden,(this variety became extinct last week) black auchan, etc, i decided to not graft quince rootstock to ensure a greater take up and their survival. unfortunately, a violent storm lifted up the weed supressing membrane and ripped out all of the grafts from all 100 trees. This year i grafted 300 (250 of which have taken) and have "given" away about 100. this is to ensure this doesnt happen again, i didnt want all of the eggs in the same basket as it were.
as small holders, this is the cheapest way to replant orchards. (99p each) the only draw back is these wee trees need looked after for 3-4 years until they establish. this is what adds to the cost of most plants. However, if anyone wants to take on any such heritage pear trees,  and become part of this group trying to save these pear types, i am more than willing to help anyone who wants them.     

http://denmylne.wordpress.com/about/

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 03:07:35 pm »

Newburgh plum sale  tomorrow - grafted trees for sale there, as far as I know .

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=27049.0

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS