Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First Old Spots  (Read 3465 times)

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
First Old Spots
« on: June 14, 2012, 05:23:55 pm »
 :wave: Hi and particularly to Mandy thanks for the support & info

Gloria is farrowing and we have some lovely spotty piglets here's a pic three so far 2 chaps and a girl. the pic is seconds born. They are simply gorgeous.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: First Old Spots
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 05:43:49 pm »
Congratulations  :bouquet:
What a great picci. Birth is such a wonderful thing no matter how often you see it.  :thumbsup:
Look forward to some more piccs when she's finished.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 06:18:01 pm »
How wonderful  :wave:

Eastling

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 07:43:42 pm »
Well done looking forward to more  :pig:  pics
Labradors leave foot prints on your heart as well as your clothes

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 08:13:38 pm »
Nice and spotty! Congratulations :thumbsup:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:26:15 pm »
Wonderful.

Being present at the birth of one of your own beasts is a great and somewhat awesome experience.

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 08:50:01 pm »
Thanks everyone it really is something to be present and watch them being born.

Well it seems all over now she has 6 strong piglets. Just a little niggle there was quite a lot of blood - more than my Berkshires and recently our  Tamworth.
I have seen two afterbirths. The piglets are fine and all suckling. Mum is knackered. Getting late now and just wondering if....... there should be an anti biotic for her. It wasn't a long birth but there did seem to be a lot of blood. Probably me just panicking but.....

PS the boys had more spots (don't they always)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 09:17:10 am »
Hi guys
Congratulations on your spotty babies, how is your sow 12hrs on, if she is feeding her brood ok and is her normal self i wouldn't worry too much. With her having a small litter the blood could also be just the contents of the two horns that the piglets came from.
But were they big piglets? she may have torn slightly like women do when they give birth which may be why theres so much blood in which case i would give her a precautionary antibiotic and possibly a painkiller. The main thing is that you've seen the two afterbirths, make sure she gets up and goes out for a pee & poo, make her first feeds sloppyish and build the amount up gradually though i know you know this anyway.
Most of all enjoy your spotty babes, they grow real fast especially with there only being six they'l certainly be chunky monsters very soon!
All the best
Mandy  :pig:

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 03:45:50 pm »
Mum is up and about and eating and etc etc :D so we didn't give any antibiotic. Lots of flies about but have sprayed rear end with a little spray that the vet gave us and have hung elder leaves in the barn which seems to have sent them packing. :fc:

The little chaps are doing well - just love them. Going to get them out very soon. I am a Berkshire girl at heart  but really this lumbering giant of an Old Spot lady has a big place in my heart now. I have another Old Spot that is due to farrow I think - difficult to tell for me if she is expecting. We bought the two in pig. Really lucky to pick them up here in France. So will be thinking about the future for them. Just love pigs :love:

Well I am off to take Betty our Berkshire and her brood out to the paddock now.... and our Lucky who you may remember had the meningitis looks like he is having a relapse.... :-\  so fingers crossed. :fc: 

We are gearing up to having an open day here in France on the 24th June so I think the old spots will be the star of the show... or maybe the Berkshires or... the Tamworth .... or our new OSBs.

Yours flying the flag for Rare breeds in France.

Lorraine

Bon Weekend  :love: :love:

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 07:27:56 pm »
love them congrats!
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS