Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: loo rolls for planting  (Read 2467 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
loo rolls for planting
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:19:49 pm »
After several recommendations I tried again using the innards of loo rolls as pots for seeds with my own compost - I am very disappointed and will revert back to pots. The seedlings turn out tiny (as in inhibited growth), they dry out really quickly and turn mouldy when wet - does anyone have good experiences with them at all?  :&>

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: loo rolls for planting
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:54:18 pm »
I used them for the first time this year. Think I prefered newspaper pots ...... mostly because I could make them the size I wanted. As for inhibited growth, I couldn't comment because just about all my veg. is suffering from inhibited growth.  ::)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 02:12:36 pm »
I used to use loo rolls until I bought hundreds of seedling pots for a couple of quid off ebay. I much prefer pots.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:12:51 pm »
Nope, mouldy and crusty here  >:(

Invested in root-trainer cells/trays, so far so good  :fc:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 02:25:59 pm »
thanks, guys, it's not only me then where it doesn't work - back to the recycling bin in the future

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 05:21:02 pm »
I have used loo rolls as root trainers. Only used them for my peas and sweet peas. They work quite well for me. they went a bit fury but the plants have been fine. I put the loo rolls in a seed try so they are a tight fit to stop them falling over and when seedlings are big enough I plant the hole thing.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:09:50 pm »
Yeah - we did loo rolls last year and  but not this year - just didn't get around to it really and we weren't doing much so had enough small pots.

I'd rather shred the loo rolls and put them on the compost heap
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »
I've tried it too. They always go fluffy mould and dry out so quickly. The root systems one one lot especially, were still potbound when I dug the up in the autumn. The. Loo rolls hadn't rotted at all.

I still do peas in them but peel the cardboard away as I plant. Mainly cos I'm too tight to buy pots when I can have freebees. Other pots are yoghurt pots and butter tubs  :eyelashes:

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 07:10:43 pm »
I tried it this year but they collapse too easily and same problem with mould. I prefer to use mine for puppy toys, then they end up in the compost.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS