Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Open Farm Sunday  (Read 3826 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Open Farm Sunday
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:42:01 am »
100s of free farm days out
Over 300 farms open to the public
What: Free entry
Get by: Sun 17 Jun 2012 only[/t][/t]How:  On Sunday 17 June, over 300 working farms across England, Scotland and Wales will open  their gates to the public. Expect to see activities like pig racing, scarecrow  making, pond dipping and maybe some chicks hatching!

Some guided tours and  tractor rides will also be available at certain farms. It's a great day out for  Father's Day. You can see if a local farm is participating  using this Farm Finder.

Most are free to walk in, though some require you to book ahead  and may charge a fee (£1.50-£5.00) or ask for a donation. So double-check the Open Farm Sunday website (if no entrance fee is mentioned, then the farm shouldn't be charging to get in) and call ahead to check before you go. You may also need to check whether the event's still happening if there has been bad weather around the time.

What do I get?  Entry to over 300 farms. Open Farm Sunday is an annual event, now in its seventh year, organised by  Leaf (Linking Environment And Farming). It aims to help you discover how farmers grow your food and look after the countryside.
The detail:   Remember to take wellies - and a sun hat if it's warm!             

Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Open Farm Sunday
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:42:17 am »
This is our piggy friends Open Farm Sunday Event

17TH JUNE
After last years success we will be taking part in Open Farm Sunday again. This is an annual event which gives everyone the chance to meet the farmers who grow their food and care for the countryside.
Opening Times: 11am - 4.00pm
Activities: Woodland walks Den making in the wood Make a 'journey' stick See our Jersey cows and watch the Ice Cream being made Butter making demonstrations Visit the Birchfield animals Pig handling demonstrations Sheep shearing demonstrations Farm machinery for you to look round kindly lent by Ripon Farm ServicesAnd much much more
Refreshments: Food, Drinks & Ice Creams will be on sale from our new Ice Cream Parlour & Tea Rooms. Also, pork available for sale from our herd of Gloucestershire Old Spot Pigs.

Please wear suitable clothing and footwear depending on the weather.
Address: Oakmount House, Birchfield Farm, Summerbridge, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG3 4JS Website: www.birchfieldicecream.co.uk
mandy  :pig:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:48:19 pm »
We are open!
to friends, invite only ... just an excuse for a get-together & let everyone see the chicks etc all in one go (so we can then be left in peace!! - I can be abit of a hermit!!)
Any TASer nearby are welcome too, pm me....
:)
Little Blue

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:00:18 pm »
Open Farm ! Sure was here at 9:00 PM when 5 prize Limousin cows walked past my kitchen window - we put them back in the wrong farmers field - then discovered the real owner had left a gate open ( before he left for a night out).

The open days sound great and I will share the details with others.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS