Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing  (Read 2007 times)

Maddie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Inverbervie
Fencing
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:11:52 am »
My husband has built a 6 foot fence around the coup and there is plenty of room for the chickens to dig up worms and scratch around, but there are tree all around. But after reading what people have written I am now worried about foxes

I am new to this, do foxes tend to attack during the day. I live on the coast and I have never seen a fox, we also have wild ducks come to the garden for the last few years

Sorry for all the questions!

zeeteecee

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Fencing
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 07:15:30 am »
Foxes tend to scramble over and onto things.if they can get over the fence in any way there is a possibility they will.
Look again at your area & try to think like a fox! I'm sure that even with some minor adjustments you will solve it.
Good luck!
Z

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 07:35:49 pm »
They can climb very tight fencing so it needs some give. Heard of a fox seen climbing an electric fence on the strands. Reason it didn't fry was because they hadn't alternated the strands live then earth, so it jumped onto the fence without making the circuit. Best turned out at the top by a foot as well.

They visit during the day with increasing frequency. Problem is people releasing town foxes into the countryside. The main fox attacks seem to be when the fences have been damaged and not repaired or gates and doors have been left open.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 07:42:14 pm »
Hello Maddie

we've lost 2 hens to the fox in 5 years. Both times it was when they'd ventured a way out from their enclosure. I've seen a big dog fox walk past our chicken run a few times but I think because our house is only a few feet from there and the lights are always going on and off - oh and there's 4 very noisy children  - they give us a bit of a wide berth  ;)
Try not to worry too much. We can only do what we can do to protect them, so long as you put plans into place to do this you are doing all you can!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS