Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with very overgrown land?  (Read 14301 times)

peartreewoodlandsmallholding

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
What to do with very overgrown land?
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:46:30 pm »
hi we recently purchased a four acre field, it hasn,t been grazed or cut for over 12 months, the land is sloping so is not really suitable/safe to get someone with a tractor to cut it down, the grass is about 2-3 foot long!!! over the entire field, i do plan to get a few sheep soon but wondered if they will eat grass this long? and if they do how long will it take for them to even make a small dent in there!! I have no tractor just hand tools, a brushcutter etc so didn,t know whether i,d be best just starting to brush cut the land and start barrowing the cut grass into a pile (im not scared of hard work!!! :innocent: ) just wondered if anyone had advice how best to tackle this cheers!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: What to do with very overgrown land?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »
what condition is the fencing in?

what do you plan to do with the land long term?

peartreewoodlandsmallholding

• Joined Jan 2012
  • staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 11:01:02 pm »
hi the fencing of the boundary is fine. ive nearly finished fencing and stock meshing off a section of about 2 acres squared of the sloping area ready for the sheep, then i have about half an acre of level ground at the top where i plan to grow veg. Going to keep a couple of pigs on there at first to rotovate that area for me ready to plant up with veg next season.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:04:06 am »
Hi abe1980

I have shared on your sheep thread. We were in a similar position to you and the sheep did work their way through the long grass. We divided our overgrown two acre field into four half acre paddocks and rotate the sheep every two weeks in the summer. They just about keep on top of it.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 08:19:04 am »
We are very new to sheep, only got our 3 last Sat but OH had only had the opportunity to strim part of the field due to the weather. About half an acre has been done and the rest will be done asap so that we can rotate them.
Our land is sloping and has rocks in places too so also not suitable for a tractor.

Anyway, the girls seem to spend as much time munching away in the long grass as they do the short.

We will eventually still strim it all but I'm not so worried about doing a rush job as I was.

Suziequeue, how many sheep do you have on yours?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 07:56:48 pm »
Congratulations on getting your field.  I bought my first 4 acres at auction and felt like I had my own piece of (very overgrown) heaven  :D :D .  If the fencing is ok you could ask a farmer to put a few cows in there - they will take down the long grass in no time. and you can see what you have got.  Or you could offer  a silage cut for nothing if they are cutting in your area.  I gave my grass away for 2 years until I had some stock - they may think you are soft in the head but you will find out who will help you  ;) .  Then you can mark off your flat area for the pigs/veg growing.  Divide the remainder into 3 areas for sheep (rotation) and off you go!  :thumbsup: Enjoy!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 09:22:20 pm »
We've got seven ewes and seven lambs (six girls and a boy) at the minute. They've only just started on paddock 1 and paddock 4 (where they'll be going next) is already desperately looking in need of a haircut!

Once we move the sheep off a paddock, OH top cuts it the next day to get the rushes and thistles down. Anything the cutters can't manage I scythe when I get home the following weekend.... then it's left to grow again. We put them on there from just before lambing in April until they go to the tup again in Oct/Nov. It's a good spot as all the paddocks open into a narrowish runway along the bottom which then enables us to herd them to the end if we need to pen them for any checks or treatments and stuff.

I have to say that the fencing was quite expensive as the land is very steep and so most of it had to be done by hand as the tractor couldn't get up the hill - but its been worth every penny..... especially seeing the pasture gradually getting restored. At the moment we are not doing any proactive pasture management but that will come with time I hope.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:32:50 pm »
EBLEX recommended sward heights for sheep at this time of year is 8-10cm which we are way over.  I believe that they finish faster on shorter grass. 

Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 09:45:02 am »
In places mine is more like 8-10 inches  ;D

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 01:19:30 pm »
Remember the joke about why women are so bad at parking Sally :-D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 02:17:05 pm »
Remember the joke about why women are so bad at parking Sally :-D

;D ;)  Ask a dairy farmer nearby if he would put a few young cattle in until the ground is munched to the ground. Most farmers nowadays, unless the grass is top class, will charge YOU for cutting and baling and taking away. Depending on how many sheep you want to keep find someone with ponies to follow on behind them(but beware, pony owners will take liberties!) This will ensure an even grazing regime which will keep the grass good and help prevent worms in all species :)

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 06:18:11 pm »
i have split just under 2 acres into 3 sections ,2 sections are rotated every 2 weeks for my sheep and lambs. the other peice is about 50mx 20m with grass at knee height and im going to make some loose hay by hand put it on some pallets and cover.All we need is the sunny weather and Cider. :fc:

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 10:49:41 pm »
All we need is the sunny weather and Cider. :fc:

The cider may be the easy bit...
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 11:56:41 am »
I've got exactly the same problem as Able1980. A retired farmer told me that if you put sheep into long grass they will start to scour. It would be really good if he was wrong. Has anyone had this problem? If not, I'm going to follow Suziequeue's example and put sheep straight on to my waist high grass. :D  I probably won't be able to find them for a few days but at least they won't go hungry.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 01:25:09 pm »
Possum,
I am no expert as I have only had my sheep 2 weeks tomorrow. They are in a field that has been partially cut (due to the weather) and spend as much time, if not more, in the long grass. They haven't scoured so far anyway.
Sally

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS