Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Slaughter / Butchering Timing  (Read 2156 times)

bongo

• Joined Jun 2012
Pig Slaughter / Butchering Timing
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:47:55 pm »
Hi there.

A bit of an odd one - but thought that I would put up a post to see if anyone had any thoughts or advice.

I work in the Caribbean where fresh pork is pretty much non existent.

It has come to light that a local farmer here does breed pigs and is prepared to sell one to us for slaughter for onward transmission to my (and other pork starved friends) oven.

I have tried to do some research, but have been unable to find any advice on how soon after a pig can be butchered once it has been slaughtered. My main concern is that due to the high temperatures / humidity here, that the carcass will deteriorate (complete lack of large cold storage available) quickly and therefore be rendered inedibile if I have to wait for a period of time from after slaughter before it is ready for butchering.

Any advice would be much appreciated....

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: Pig Slaughter / Butchering Timing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 07:58:08 pm »
We prefer to wait for at least 5 or 6 days before butchering.  The pork tends to 'set' well around this time.

Although the butcher that I sell carcasses to butchers as soon as he receives them - which is usually 2 days after slaughter.

I can't see any reason why it can't be sooner rather than later especially in your circumstances.

Good luck and enjoy your pork.  Let us know how you get on.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

arl

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »
Hi personally the pork is not going to what we call set up(firms the fat up with refrigeration)So i would get the entrails and offal out as quick as possible,let the carcass cool to whatever the ambient temperature is and cut it up as soon as possible maybe evening if its a little cooler. the only difference will be that the pork is floppier to handle it wont affect the quality.
Hope it goes well
Arl

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:37:45 am »
Agree with Arl, butcher it straight away, but expect it to be floppier to cut, so not as neat !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:04:49 am »
We used to have ours slaughtered Monday butchered Tuesday, couldn't see any difference at all.

bongo

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:38:40 pm »

Thanks for the advice - it's all happening tomorrow, so i'll let you know how it works out!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS