Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which is more important, cleaner pasture or shelter for lambs  (Read 2894 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Hi, all our girls have lambed, had feet done and been sheared and wormed. Now I have a question. Should I move them to the fresh field which has been mostly rested for 3 ish months apart from the odd escapee and has lots of lush grass, or should I leave them in the smaller paddock where there is access to two stables for shelter but also quite a lot of poop after a busy lambing. We only have 11 girls and 8 lambs. The paddock is quite small but well grassed but the big field is 2 acres and they will share that with 2 ponies.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: which is more important, cleaner pasture or shelter for lambs
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 02:31:16 pm »
I should add that I am only worried as we have had a lot of rain and the lambs seem to spend a lot of time inside sheltering.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 03:12:32 pm »
Cleaner pasture.  The lambs are water proof  :) , worm burden with do more damage to them than the rain will IMHO.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »
Definitely clean pasture over shelter, especially at this time of year.

I have built 'pallet with tin sheet' shelters in all my fields, mainly to make myself feel better but also cos I'm at 1000+ft in Cumbria - and they're not using them really anymore. Anywhere lower, warmer and drier (and most places are  ::)) lambs should be absolutely fine.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 05:04:48 pm »
Shelter at this time of year? I know its rainy, but IMO you are just asking for disease allowing them in the warm and wet. I'm sure hey can find a hedge to shelter against.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 05:53:32 pm »
Great. Out they go tonight then. Thanks a lot!

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 06:09:21 pm »
Ditto what has already been said. Clean pasture.Also if you don't get them out now the grass will get very long.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:53:44 pm »
The grass is pretty long. We are topping it bit by bit but our little ride on mower is a bit slow. Should get it done by the weekend. In the meantime, the lambs are loving leaping about in it. Bernard the ram broke out of his paddock to get in with them today. Watching him like a hawk to check no 'action' takes place until back up arrives to reenforce the fence and get him and his two castrated buddies back in. Never a dull moment with sheep eh?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS