Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can you sell your pig meat to friends?  (Read 15018 times)

robert waddell

Re: Can you sell your pig meat to friends?
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2012, 03:26:11 pm »
the winter fair at ingilstone  only two sets of sausages were made in approved premises and all sausages entered were cooked and handed out  any previous comps to that one the sausages were handed out as samples  and one comp they actually sold the sausages cooked to the public
it was the gow that were dealing with EH  and feedback since the show is that south lanarkshire had the biggest outbreak of e coli and were looking for any excuse to shut them down
it is all down to interpretation ;) :farmer:

WarescotFarm

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2012, 08:15:07 pm »
had our 7 kune kunes butchered 2 weeks ago  we shared it half and half with sons family, so far us 2 have  had hot dogs a few times, burgers, ribs, belly, shoulder, chops, scotch eggs (our meat our duck eggs)....you  have a family of 5.... i wouldnt be parting with any of it how big are they and how long will it take to grow the next lot........ one down side is i useually buy a rack of ribs when i go to a resturant, now ive had my own kk ribs i cant buy them at a restaraunt anymore

Thanks for all the advice, this forum is great!
We want to do KuneKune next time but have heard the meat is not as good, what was your experience of it?
Miniature Falabella, Pygmy Goat, 2 Glouster Old Spots, 1 Long Island Red, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Dark Sussex, 1 Silkie, 1 Magpie Duck and hopefully some more chicks and ducklings due to hatch soon!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2012, 09:29:17 pm »
everyone on here with kunes raves about them , cant compare as dont know never had anything else to compare only supermarket stuff... but so far very tender at 1 year old just right amount of fat not much .... loads more meat than i expected on little pigs...doing them again mainly because easy to keep, less destructive than others i think and not big eaters but dont be in a hurry, so ime now another fan of the KK club
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:34:27 pm by harry »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2012, 10:01:04 pm »
Totally echo Harry on the KKs.  They only get fat if you either overfeed them or feed them the wrong stuff (eg barley or too much protein).  Make sure they have plenty of room to run about, so they build muscle = meat  :yum:   Basically, if they can't run then they're overweight.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2012, 10:34:20 pm »
Lyn you have not tried your oh osb yet       any pig will layer the fat on if fed incorrectly    and you could eat one (a kunnie )at one sitting   and anyway you are all going of the point  of the original post :innocent: :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 09:36:25 pm »
my 7 just butchered came to a total of 280klo of all cuts inc 4 hams, 70klo sausages, 16klo sausage meat, and 10klo small bacon plus 180klo all the other cuts leg shoulder liver etc etc, thats about 40 klo of meat each pig, not fat, thats a hell of a pig out for any obese family to eat in one sitting. if youre asking and you did then try kunnies soon

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS