Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is 2 acres enough?  (Read 10558 times)

Howard

• Joined Jun 2012
Is 2 acres enough?
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:08:10 pm »
I've always wanted some land to start a smallholding. I've come across 2 acres close to where I live. It would be ideal but I'm concerned as to what I can achieve with just 2 acres. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Is 2 acres enough?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:11:22 pm »

i don't have land yet but from my research 2 acres would certainly be a very nice start...

on 2 acres a couple of weaners a year, some poultry and a very good veg patch are possible.

maybe more depending on location and quality of the land.

trust me if i could find 2 acres i could afford currently i'd grab them in a nanosecond!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:23:16 pm »
I agree with David.

Our veg garden is 3/4 acre - there are 5 raised beds, 18m x 1.2m, 10 fruit trees, a 16ft x 24ft (I think) polytunnel just going up and room under the trees for poultry.

I don't think you could make a living from it but you'd be able to produce an awful lot of your own food.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:31:01 pm »
If it is close enough for walking there and back (or cycling) and you can put some animal sheds up - a couple of acres you can have some milking goats, which then feed a couple of weaners and maybe lambs (spare triplets for example), poultry of course, a smallish polytunnel, veg garden, fruit cage..., but make sure you have (preferably) water on there, electricity would be a bonus too....

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:28:07 pm »
I does depend on the quality of the land. If it is 2 acres of good, fairly level pasture (with a fairly sunny aspect) then I would do much the same as Anke suggests. If it is soggy, wooded or shaded, then it will be more difficult. Is there anyone from TAS who lives nearby who can have a look at it with you?

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 10:43:32 pm »
You can do a fair bit with 2 acres if you plan it well. Is the land for sale or rent ?
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Howard

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:40:05 am »
Thanks to you all - really helpful. The land is south east facing and on a gentle slope so would drain well - it is part deer fenced and the seller is going to stock proof the rest of it when its sold. There is water available on a sub meter, no electricity. There is no shade but the northen boundary does back on to woodland so there may be a little shade from the trees at some point. I'll check it out when we get some sun!!  I want to start this exercise slowly, although I was bought up on a fruit farm in Kent, my knowledge of livestock is fairly limited. Good idea to find a TAS member locally - I'm in Sussex so it shouldn't be too difficult - (This is a great website by the way) Thanks again everyone.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 08:45:09 am »
Sounds almost perfect. South facing in Sussex, you can probably have a solar panel and battery to suppy you with some electricity (here in Cumbria, less likely to be much elec made from one ::))

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 08:52:29 am »
Sounds pretty good and if you have good access by road and can put up a few store buildings and animal/bird quarters you can do a lot with 2 acres. As others have said the intial investment in stock fence,constructions, water delievery and tools and any mechanical equipment may represent a significant start up cost but then its all relative. If you beg borrow or trade you can rduce start up costs and what the heck - if you get the same satisfaction and pleasure out of the lifestyle as most of us do maybe you can stand a bit of a hit for a year or so.
good luck ! Martin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:54:17 am »
Do give some thought to security as well, especially if you are loving off site. Your local crime prevention officer may be able to advise.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:21:21 am »
Rosemary, I would like to do some loving offsite too  ;D ;D
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 10:25:30 am »
Rosemary, I would like to do some loving offsite too  ;D ;D

Oh! if only I had the energy ;D :eyelashes:

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 10:48:08 am »
" Love is in the air "  :innocent:
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 11:15:21 am »
nothing like a bit of AL fresco :innocent: :farmer:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 11:44:01 am »
You'll want more in a short space of time I think, it's addictive. 

That'll be land you saucy lot out there!!! :-* :-* :-*
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS