Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Talk to me about goats  (Read 4076 times)

HappyHippy

Talk to me about goats
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:44:48 pm »
Hiya,
I have bowed to pressure from 4 whinging kids (of the human variety) and 1 whinging hubby  ;)   ;D  and agreed to get a couple of castrated goats - to keep the weeds down apparently  ::)  I do agree that we have plenty of weeds/areas that get overgrown, just I had hoped the strimmer and the brushcutter would have taken care of that - Bruce has other ideas  :innocent:   :D 

So we're rehoming a couple of adult's (think they're AN's) They look in very good condition (possibly a little too good  ;) ) and have been regularly worm counted and dosed as appropriate. They'll be done (second dose) just before we collect them, so I know I have no worries there.
But what do I need to worry about ?

Clostridium is a concern because of the pigs - so I'm thinking mass vaccination (of everything) with lambivac would be prudent ? Would welcome views on that please  :-*
We're going to make them a small 'stable' at the other end of the pig shed which will have a concrete floor with excercise area (3m x 6m) and a more shut in sleeping area (2m x 2m - is this big enough for 2 ?) with raised floor, door and draught excluders. This is where I plan to keep them (for at least 3 weeks) til I get to know them and they get to know that it's me who brings the bucket (and the ginger nuts  ;) ) before letting them outside into the big blue yonder - thinking that if when they do jump the fences they'll come back more readily  :fc:

I know they'll need access to a shelter at all times and foot trimming regularly and do plan to get a goat book (recommendations welcome) but just thought all the good goat keepers of TAS would be a starting point for sound, sensible advice  ;)   :thumbsup:

I don't see me ever showing them, so is CAE testing worth doing for my own peace of mind or unneccessary in experienced goat keepers opinions ?
Anything else that might be helpful to know would be most appreciated  :-*
Thanks,
Karen x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Talk to me about goats
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:56:57 pm »
Well it was only a question of time.... ;)

1) If they are wormed on leaving and you keep them inside for a few days, I would do another poo count after 10days (before they go out) to test for resistant worms. If none there, you can safely let them out and of your ground is clean, then you wouldn't really have to worry about them in the future. Have you got liver fluke on your land?

2) Most books on goats are about dairy goats and the actual breeding, milking and dairying is what my books are all about. So I don't know any books on just keeping goats as pets. Someone else may though, if not try abebooks.co.uk or Amazon for the following: Ulrich Jaudas: The New Goat Hand Book". Published by Barron's and should be available 2nd hand. Isbn is 0-8120-4090-2

3) CAE: These will probably not come with a certificate. But CAE is (as far as I know) transmitted through milk and to some extent through the saliva if the nanny licks the newborn kid, so it is really a problem of female goats. I don't think you should really worry about it, although knowing about the disease and any signs may be worthwhile in case they do develop it at some point. If they are wethers they cannot be shown at a goat show.

4) But why not a couple of milking goats - your pigs would be eternally grateful!  ???

5) Double jag (4 weeks apart) with Lambivac definitely, just use a sterile needle and you can re-use the bottle for the 2nd jag if stored in the fridge in between. If they have their head in a feed bucket they will not notice the needle going in...

If they are used to being led or walked, a couple of dog leads and quick release collars will be handy. Also make sure you know what they are fed on, if you think they are too fat I would gradually reduce their feed to probably near zero at this time of year (AN's are prone to Laminitis if a bit overfed), and even in winter they will be ok on just hay and maybe a (as in one) handful of mix. They probably could do with a yellow rockie in their shed, also a gluck of cider vinegar in their drinking water will help preventing urinari calculii.

Oh you will be hooked in no time.... :innocent:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 09:33:31 pm »
Well it was only a question of time.... ;)
4) But why not a couple of milking goats - your pigs would be eternally grateful!  ???
Oh you will be hooked in no time.... :innocent:
Thank you for your advice Anke  :thumbsup:
I would have picked something a bit more 'useful' myself, but everyone else was swung by Bill & Ben's lovely faces and gentle natures  ::) 
I have absolutely no doubt it'll be the start of something else.......already wondering how I could fit a wee shetland cow with calf (or similar) into the field next to the house before being spotted (I have to admit to not being a fan of goats cheese or milk  :-[ ) But I'll be taking it very much a step at a time - not rushing into anything at this stage. I'll get some pics on once the boys arrive  ;)
Thanks,
Karen x

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:51:58 pm »
About time.  How does anyone survive without goats?  I agree with Anke though.  Why not milkers?  All that lovely milk and the pleasure of milking, which is very therapeutic.  Never mind, you can get milkers next.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:55 am »
And as for not being a fan of goats' milk - wait til you've tasted fresh, unpastuerised goats' milk before you decide  :)

Certainly one of the two main suppliers to supermarkets has a very strong taste. But most people I give Ellie's milk to either can't tell it from cows' milk or they like it anyway. The trick is partly to cool is straight after milking.

Can't imagine life without goats either - after dogs and cats, they are my 'can't do without' animals now  ;D Enjoy yours  ;D

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:44:21 pm »
Been hankering after a small herd of milkers for some time now but its the cost of setting up just cannot afford it at the moment. Fresh goats milk is lovely too.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:41:38 pm »
Just remember that it was a goat that broke my leg........then ran away laughing. ( yes Muffin , the next curry might be you. ) at least with wethers you can eat your mistakes , just remember they are brousers not grazers so don't expect miracles on the weed eating.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 03:00:30 pm »
Thanks folks  :)

How's the leg Doug ? Hope you're actually going to take it easy for a bit ?  :innocent:
Karen  :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 05:53:40 pm »
Now you are going to be an even happier hippy then!! yay!!

Does this mean though that if you have goats...one day I'll have pigs?!  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS