Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing - false alarms etc  (Read 4857 times)

Mush4brains

• Joined Apr 2009
Lambing - false alarms etc
« on: April 25, 2009, 07:20:26 am »
On my midnight ewe patrol (this is my first lambing season, by the way), I noticed a ewe pawing the ground and grinding her teeth.  I checked on her every 45 mins but as the night went on she seemed less and less uncomfortable and this morning at 6am was first at the feed trough. 

Is it normal for a ewe to have these "false alarms"?  I am very nervous as my first lambing on Monday started with a ewe looking very restless and miserable for about 8 hours with no bag produced.  I called my shepherd friend for advice and he shot straight over and delivered malpresented twins.  So I now assume, probably wrongly, that every ewe who looks unhappy for more than an hour has something wrong. I know that once a ewe starts to strain in earnest, one should leave it for about an hour before intervening but how long is it safe to leave a restless, miserable ewe with no bag produced before examining her?

Also, the ewe who lambed on Monday has no infection (vet checked her out) but even this morning is still straining occasionally.  She's absolutely fine in every other respect, back to her normal greedy, cheeky self and her lambs are thriving.  Are signs of pain/discomfort normal this long after an assisted birth?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Lambing - false alarms etc
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:03:20 am »
straining after lambing can happen for various reasons. Some happen because the ewe is still swollen so thinks something is due to come out, others because there is an infection, others still because there is some cleansing still left in and can even occur because she is constipated, there are probably other reasons I've forgotten but my general response is to give a penicillan(antibiotic) injection and if the ewe has had a difficult birth a flunixin (anti-inflammatory) injection
Ian

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 08:38:54 am »
I will start by saying I am by no means an expert on sheep. I had my first 'solo' lambing this year and was as twitchy and nervous as anything. My answer MAY be way off the mark, but to me it seems logical.

I also noticed my ewes seemed to be straining slightly for a few days after they had lambed, a month ago. This was on a scale, 10% as powerful as the birthing straining. They also seemed to be seeping a little blood for a few days.

I related this to when I had my own children and what was happening to my body! We are all mammals and are therefore basically the same, so it seems rational that we will experience similar responses to things like birth, illness etc. I have human medical training...

After the birth the womb had to return to its normal size. So it keeps contracting down by the muscles squeezing and tightening. The feeling is a strong cramping somewhere half way between a period cramp and the early labour pains. Sometimes it was enough to stop me in my tracks! This could be what is happening to the ewes!!??

Also, ref the seeping blood... the placenta site is an interface of blood vessels which has been severed during birth. This site has to heal,... will heal, but takes a few days...or in humans weeks! 

As with any mammal there is the chance that a bit of placenta has been retained. In some ways, i watched more diligently for the placenta than I did for the birthing. All the ewes delivered a large placenta, which probably weighed a couple of pounds, after the last lamb was born. They also strain for the delivery of the placenta.

If the ewes strain a lot for a long time, and you know there has definitely not been a placenta delivered get your vet, or shepherd guru!
If the ewes go really off colour over the ensuing days....get the vet to check for retained placenta parts.

I really hope this helps, and that you are enjoying your experience. I did!  Its amazing and so rewarding!

BTW I took the MAXIMUM OBSERVATION, MINIMUM INTERVENTION saying to heart. And when I did have to go in I made sure I was well prepared, surgically clean, well lubricated, and that I took my time. Panic and dirt are your enemy!
Emma x   
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:39:02 pm »

BTW I took the MAXIMUM OBSERVATION, MINIMUM INTERVENTION saying to heart. And when I did have to go in I made sure I was well prepared, surgically clean, well lubricated, and that I took my time. Panic and dirt are your enemy!
Emma x   

This is my OH's favourite lambing time mantra - if I didn't know better i would swear you had attended one of our lambing courses.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 06:57:32 pm »
oh i wish i could.....I am just a nurse applying a bit of transferable knowledge!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Emma x
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS