Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Every cloud has a silver lining.  (Read 2562 times)

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
Every cloud has a silver lining.
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:55:34 pm »
After the sad departure of one of my hens on Sunday, I was talking to a friend who had some Khaki Campbell ducklings and ended up coming away with 3 of them. They are around 4 weeks old and seem to be enjoying life in thier pen (separate from the hens) with a little shallow pool to wash in.
I have been looking for some ducks for a few months and these are absolutely brilliant, I don't think I'll be without ducks again. I thought hens were additive but the ducklings are so funny to watch that you cn waste hours just watching them.
At the moment they are on growers pellets, I am planning on starting them on lettuce later this week and also som mixed poultry corn. I am also making sure they have plenty of drinking water (I can't believe how much they drink).

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Every cloud has a silver lining.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:09:02 pm »
Yep ducks go through some water, they are great fun. Good luck with them  :&>

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:09:42 pm »
It's those heart strings playing  ::)

I Often end up with an orphan in the house with all around expecting me to keep it. At one time we had a houseful. 'just for a couple of days'  :innocent: 10 years later the 'orphan would still be here.  Thankfully we have restrictions on our allotments or who knows what would be residing.

Where are your piccies......You cannot tell me all about them then not show them off ::)  :&>

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:19:59 pm »
I just love ducks and as for ducklings  ;D they are the cutest.

I have two runner ducklings at the moment, who are in the hall during the night and out during the day now. And my 'big' Muscovy ducklings are now out the back with everyone else. As you say, you can watch them for hours  ;D (and chase them, my Muscovies have just been naughty about going to bed, having been very virtuous up til now - must be hitting teenage  ;))

Andt

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 10:43:45 pm »
Good to read your comments, locking up time is really fun. I didn't realise how fast ducklings are, the first night I had them I got 2 in and the 3rd found out it could fit under it's house. It took my about 20 mins to get them all in that night, last night I put boards around the bottom of their house so the can't get under it.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 11:10:40 pm »
Adore my ducks too! And yes, they sure are quick when they want to be.

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 12:08:16 am »
i love hatching duckling you could give them greens now i give mine greens ie grass salad and othere stuff from day one with no problems

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:14:54 am »
I have 5 week old chickens and I give them a few greens each day. My threory is if they were out pecking around with a mum they'd be trying all sorts of stuff. Duckling sound great but I think we've enough all ready :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS