Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching Issues - help!  (Read 4974 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Hatching Issues - help!
« on: June 10, 2012, 07:26:46 pm »
I bought 10 eggs and put 7 under broody hen and 3 in incubator.  Wish I'd put them all under hen but other half thought it too many for a bantam.  She broke one a week ago so dead chick but all others hatched successfully.

My problem is the incubated ones haven't hatched although at least 2 had live chicks. I put those two under hen last night as expected them to start chipping but lunchtime today eggs felt cold and nothing happening so put back in incubator.

What is the chance of them still hatching and how long should I leave them?  Today is the expected date but still no sign of a chip.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Hatching Issues - help!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 08:11:50 pm »
not sure how it will be in your case, but some of mine hatched (in incubator) 3 days after expected due date...  I was hearing cheeping and they felt heavy though.  I had 14 out of 20 hatch and switched inci off on day 25 good luck Fi

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:19:23 pm »
Thanks I will leave a few more days.  I candled them a few days ago and could see legs moving on two and they were bouncing around.  No movement since and can't see anything when I candle them.

Fingers crossed I haven't killed them with cold by putting under hen.  :'(

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:36:34 pm »
They sound as though they will be fine Scotsgirl. But your incubator doesn't. It must be running about a degree cold which is why they are late. The broody will ignore any eggs now because she has little chicks to look after.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:38:36 pm »
Good news is one egg had chipped at lunchtime and hatched out this evening. Once dry I popped it under broody and hoping she doesn't kick it out. No sign of other two yet although doused them and at least one showing as alive and other I'm not sure about.

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:17:26 pm »
Yikes! Dousing? A good egg-candler - even home-made is a darn sight more reliable - you can actually SEE is the foetus is still alive and moving.
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 08:37:39 am »
A good egg-candler - even home-made is a darn sight more reliable - you can actually SEE is the foetus is still alive and moving.
I'd second that  :thumbsup:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:01:31 pm »
lol, you lot are as scepticle as my partner!  Last week I could see legs moving with a strong torch however now all I can see is a dark blob and the airsac. The question is how long before I just break the eggs?  They are now 23/24 days in.

You may laugh but there is something in the dousing. One of my clients suggested using it as a method of identifying female eggs so as to reduce number of cockerels.  I'll let you know how it goes as should only be one male out of 7 chicks so far.  And yes, her husband thinks she is a witch until he saw it work.

It's a bit of fun anyway

lilac-unicorn

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:16:35 pm »
I always dowse all eggs that i incubate and has always been spot on .so ignore the sceptics  lol x
  good luck with yours.  :&> :chook: :eyelashes:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:18:58 pm »
Id like to know more about dowsing :)   I used to work in a water company who employed contracters who dowsed for leaks.  There is something in it - my scientist brain cant understand what, but my learner brain thinks there is something! Please do tell :eyelashes: ?  I didnt candle any of my eggs (i didnt like to disturb them!!!!) but I kind of would like to know which ones are viable.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 11:36:36 am »
I've dowsed things but never thought to dowse eggs! Will have to try it next time I have some eggs.

Helen

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 11:56:16 am »
How do you do this?  I've dowsed for water using hazel twigs or metal rods.  Is that the same principle?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 09:44:12 pm »
Hi,

I take any unhatched eggs from my broodies once the hatched chicks are 24hours old and candle them. Developing ones go in the incy off the cradle and at 65% rH. This year the weather has been very unstable so my broodies hadnt managed to incubate them at the same rate.
this meant that the 14 viable eggs hatched in my incy at a rate of one to two chicks a day over a period of about 9 days. I also suffered a 12 hour power cut during the incubation and managed to keep them developing by placing hot water bottles and dishes of hot water in the incy. Nature is not that precise in my experience and the will to live can be strong enough to withstand conditions which are not quite perfect.
I must confess that I tend to see the number of days quoted in the poultry books as a guide along with the idea that the humidity should only be increased for the the last couple of days.
As a novice its always best to follow the instructions or perceived wisdom but with experience and confidence you can take a more flexable and intuative approach. As long as mine candle as viable I keep the incy on and keep an eye on them until they are ready to hatch. I dont worry too much about how many days they take.

Good luck!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 06:52:37 pm »
Unfortunately my disturbance of eggs must have been enough to kill chicks. Both eggs had fully formed chicks but obviously needed another couple of days and the hen didn't keep them warm enough. Should have left in incubator as she happily accepted other chick which hatched.

Will know for next time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS