Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: MY NEW BOYS!!!  (Read 6945 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
MY NEW BOYS!!!
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:12:13 pm »
Here are my new boys.  They were the least attractive ones (breeding rejects) of the litter - a saddleback without a saddle?  His beautiful pink socks make up for it though!

Having a drink after setteling down.  We hadn't anticipated having the runt so needed to give him a step to reach the water!

Oliver and Harry trying to make friends with the pigs - Harry has already said that when the sausages are bagged up he only wants to eat his pig!

sandy

Re: MY NEW BOYS!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:10:33 pm »
I pigs are pretty, they are!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:09:33 am »
They are really lovely.  For slap marking you can buy green ink.  The slap mark will show through when the pig is butchered; in my experience the black pigs still have white skins when butchered.

MrsJ

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 04:59:17 pm »

These are some of our 14 new boys! 

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 05:13:41 pm »
Love your pictures, our pigs arrive the middle of next month and I can hardly wait.  :pig:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 05:24:00 pm »
When you see these pictures you wonder how anyone can eat them..............................
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 07:13:04 pm »
I've always loved pigs, I remember a holiday at a B&B in the Lake District that was also a pig farm, I was happy sitting watching the animals :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 07:40:10 pm »
Mrs J they are gorgeous. 

Doganjo, live with Hilary for a week I can guarantee you will never look at a pork chop in the same way. 

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 07:02:15 pm »
What a beautiful photo Mrs J!  They look so cozy!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 10:35:58 pm »
They are beatiful - least attractive - breeding rejects - how very dare they????????

Kate  :pig: :love:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 10:37:20 pm »
I think the 'all-black' is exquisite!

Morgan

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 07:52:54 pm »
The pigs have got so friendly so quickly.  When I go into the field and shout piggly wigglies they come belting out of their bed to see what's goiong on!

At the moment they don't have the full run of the field, but we are thinking of letting them out into the whole field at the weekend.  Do you think that is OK after one week or do you think we should contain them for a little longer?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 06:52:37 am »
If you feel confident, why not.  As long as they come to the bucket or your voice no problems. They look wonderful. 

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2009, 08:41:26 pm »
Well, on Thursday afternoon, we let them out into the field and they romped around the perimetre at a hundred miles an hour, snuffled for a bit and then flopped onto the grass for a nap.

Yesterday when we got home from school the children went to feed the pigs - they shouted, rattled the buckets - No pigs!  The children checked all round the field and then out of the corner of my eye I saw a little floppy eared face poking out of the chicken shed's pophole!! ;D  Needless to say they were too full of layers pellets to eat their tea and then had a runny tummy!

We have now put barbed wire along the fencing so they can't get to the chickens again - I new we would be playing catch up with these hooligans!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 08:59:34 am »
One of our pigs (boar) actually took up residence in the duck house.  When he got too big to get out of the pop hole he walked through the side of it.  Took OH ages to repair it!!!  Glad yours were found safe and sound.  Once they grow a bit they do respect the fencing, it seems to be just while they are young in most cases, that they are prepared to take a run at the fence and suffer the consequences.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS