Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cockerel advice needed please  (Read 1746 times)

monkeysox

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Colchester, Essex
cockerel advice needed please
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:07:11 am »
Hi everyone,

I am new to this posting lark, joined a while back and have rediscovered you all recently.

I am after some advice on a very noisy cockerel, he is sooo loud! We live in the middle of no where but are semi detached ( old farm cottages) I am fed up him making the noise so next door must be too. He does it all day long! I am happy to cook him but OH is a bit of a city boy and doesn't want to. Can anyone offer any advice to shut him up before I go insane?!

:horse: :horse: :&> :&> :&> :&> :chook: :chook: :chook: :chook: :dog: :bunny: :bunny: (an idea of who I have in the garden, also includes 2 ferrets and a goose but there aren't pics of those on here  :) )

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
Re: cockerel advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:32:22 am »
If it was just an early morning thing i would have suggested a cockerel box but as he is doing it all day your options are limited i'm afraid. You could try giving him more ladies, that may help although not guaranteed. Rehoming cockerels isnt easy either. So i think your OH may have to man up and do the deed.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

monkeysox

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Colchester, Essex
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:31:57 am »
I feared as much! He crows from first light on wards really. If we can stop him for part of it that may ease the situation. Can you tell me more about a cockerel box please?

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:43:59 am »
Never used one so not the best person to try and describe one but i know people have had some success with them.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 12:16:57 pm »
You put the cockerel in the box at night when they have gone to roost. He stays in it until a "respectable" hour in the  morning ( your neighbours will tell you what the respectable hour is ::) )
If he's crowing all day, I would say he hasn't got enough work to do so, you can either get a few more girls to keep him busy or, if you don't want to breed from him, put him in a casserole.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 03:55:35 pm »
iv got the same problem i need the 2 cocks so shuters up at the windows to start then a box with no light and let out at 9 pm the onley way or put 2 together .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS