Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Duck & Chickens together  (Read 2946 times)

IainW

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Brittany
    • Honest SEO & Internet Marketing Services
Duck & Chickens together
« on: April 27, 2009, 08:24:02 am »
Hi Guys,

I'll introduce myself in the introductions forum shortly.

But in general I live in France and have started up keeping chickens, ducks, Geese, Guinea Fowl.

I have 3 houses for them all, I would like the Geese and Ducks to live in one house and section with a wire fence separating them from the chickens, is this necessary or can they all live together? I want them to live separately for the sleeping arrangements, health issues and general ease of running them.

What do you guys do? separate or together?

Cheers
Iain
www.ibwsolutions.co.uk (SEO & Internet Marketing Experts) www.williamsholidays.com (European Family Holidays) www.self-catering-holiday-forum.com (Holiday Chat)      Everyone's entitled to my opinion!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Duck & Chickens together
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 08:31:09 am »
our geese and chickens mix together. No problems, In fact they often chase the cockrel off if he gets to romantic.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:34:17 am »
at the moment we house them completely seperate but they cross paths occaisionally as they are free range. we still have the odd problem when a drake gets over amorous and tries to be too friendly. not appreciated by the hens. I wouldn't like to have them housed together as the poor hens wouldn't have the chance to escape if this happened inside

however I am contemplating something similar with one of our houses as we are looking to increase the number of hens we have. Mind you it is an old barn with loads of space and we don't have a cockerel
Ian

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 08:40:15 am »
Hello. I used to keep my 17 ducks and 3 geese together day and night and there was never a problem. However, once the breeding season came around the geese became very aggressive and not only did we have to seperate them from the ducks but we had to keep one of the geese away from the other 2(all are ganders - I think).

Now if the geese come into contact with the ducks there is never an issue but to be honest the geese are so cheely it is always just worth keeping an eye on them.

IainW

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Brittany
    • Honest SEO & Internet Marketing Services
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 08:51:12 am »
Thanks guys,

Blimey such a big response on a Monday morning.

Another question for you: With the chickens, when you eat them do you find the skin is tough and sometimes the meat compared to shop bought chickens? if so how can we make the skin less tough and the meat more tender?

Iain
www.ibwsolutions.co.uk (SEO & Internet Marketing Experts) www.williamsholidays.com (European Family Holidays) www.self-catering-holiday-forum.com (Holiday Chat)      Everyone's entitled to my opinion!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 09:18:25 am »
We house ours together in two houses.  The geese go in one side and the chooks perch above and the ducks in the other and the chickens perch above them also.

Re cooking a free range bird.  I have written on this subject on the LACEF website and have included a link which is my recipe.  There are other links/recipes also on the site area.  It takes practice to cook a FR bird to perfection - to keep it moist and flavoursome.  They are unlike any intensivley reared bird you will find in the supermarket.  Cooking slowley and on a lower heat is the key.  I also turn mine onto the breast half way through cooking.  There is also a recipe for broth, and I am sure everyone has a variation on the theme.  In the true spirit of smallholding, we try to waste nothing.  So, good luck and let us know when you achieve your perfect roast chicken.

http://www.lacef.fr/pages/Lacef-cares/page-5.html

Kate  :yum: :chook:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS