Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pedigree weaners  (Read 6602 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
pedigree weaners
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:18 pm »
Hi all, i am looking to get another couple of weaners around july time. Undecided what breed to get, and wondered if anyone here would have any pedigree weaners in my area (kent/sussex) for sale around that time? Thanks  :wave:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: pedigree weaners
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 10:30:28 pm »
I can put you in touch with some breeders in Kent who might have weaners available. Send me your details and I'll dig out their contact details.
Is there any reason you want pedigree weaners? Are you thinking of breeding, or do you just want pure bred (i.e. birth notified but not registered) weaners?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 11:14:34 pm »
I am toying with the idea of breeding, but id like to try out another breed for keeping and eating qualities. The last lot i kept were saddleback/gos crosses which were good, but the idea of helping a rare breed is important to me

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 09:48:39 am »
I will have pedigree Tamworth weaners and pedigree Saddleback weaners ready towards end July/early August.   Good mix males and females.  Too young yet to decide which can be registered, but some of the Saddlebacks have very good markings.   I am in Hampshire close to West Sussex, but could deliver to Kent/Sussex if you have transport problems.   Let me know if you are interested - Tamsaddle

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 11:17:12 pm »
Tamsaddle has some good foundation stock, so you could buy with confidence from her. However, I wouldn't jump into breeding until you are aware of all the implications (ongoing care/cost; having two litters per year to keep fertility up/ sourcing a boar). Getting into breeding is a big commitment, and a major tie, if you want to have a bit of a life.

Also, as you are concerned about helping rare breeds, the best ways you can do that are 1) buy meat weaners from a good pedigree breeder, to help that breeder keep breeding 2) breed from pedigree stock yourself - as only birth notified AND subsequently registered offspring can be counted in the official annual breed surveys.
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 08:15:12 am »
I already keep sheep, and have 2 small children, so cant really remember what having a life was!  :D  Did you say having two litters a year, is that two litters from same sow? Being a relative newcomer to pigs, (i had saddleback crosses before) finding an honest breeder with quality stock is a concern to me. How much should i pay for a nice breeding quality sow down hear in rip off kent do you think?  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 10:25:58 am »
yes it is two litters per year    some just breed once a year
on price that is the old Indian rope trick    if you travel to buy you have to factor in diesel    so that that £100 bargain might cost £300 with fuel as opposed to a very good well bread pig closer to hand :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 03:38:44 pm »
I already keep sheep, and have 2 small children, so cant really remember what having a life was!  :D  Did you say having two litters a year, is that two litters from same sow? Being a relative newcomer to pigs, (i had saddleback crosses before) finding an honest breeder with quality stock is a concern to me. How much should i pay for a nice breeding quality sow down hear in rip off kent do you think?  :wave:
I echo what Liz has said - if Tamsaddle doesn't have any available at the right time for you, try looking on the BPA/Breed Club website - always insist on seeing mum & possibly the boar if he's about & go on recommendations.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:40:24 pm »
Its a fair point Robert, IF some people have more money than sense, i suppose folk can charge what they want and try to justify it by saying its very rare or fashionable  ;)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 03:41:56 pm »
Forgot to say, thanks for the replies everyone  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 04:15:02 pm »
i was meaning large pigs at that price not weaners but then again you as a buyer may not concider the sellers view on prices    and like so much in life there is a scrap value in pigs many people give them away when there is still a good value  in them in the cast trade and that is the benchmark :farmer:

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 08:33:38 pm »
I will have birth notified Tamworth weaners ready July and have a litter of Tamworth/Large black cross due at the begining of July ( cant wait to see what they look like!) .We are in Kent

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 11:13:10 pm »
And I can, wholeheartedly, recommend Skidley as an excellent supplier of both weaners for meat and breeding stock. Hers was one of the numbers I was going to pass on to you!

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 05:53:55 pm »
Thankyou for the replies, both the saddlebacks and tamworths sound good. I dont know too much about the tamworths other than they love to dig, and can be good at escaping. Is this true, are the saddlebacks more docile? And where abouts are you skidley?

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 09:20:40 pm »
I dont know too much about the tamworths other than they love to dig, and can be good at escaping.

tamworths have a lovely character and are intelligent and so fun to keep. they are very easy on the eye too. cant beat them.  ;D :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS