Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: broody hens  (Read 2335 times)

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
broody hens
« on: April 24, 2009, 09:31:59 am »
I have 4 hens who have all decided it seems to go broody on me at the same time. Would it be ok to house the four together and give them all some fertile eggs to hatch? Or would they attack each others chicks? Haven't got enough pens to seperate them all!!!!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: broody hens
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 01:15:27 pm »
i would not have four hens together you could have problems. do you have space for smallish carboard boxs and put one in each they then wont see each other. plus you just burn the lot afterwards.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 02:02:24 pm »
I agree, not a good idea to have them in close proximity.  Do you have a spare rabbit hutch at all? You could separate that into two compartments, that splits them off nicely, leaving plenty of space for the other two.  If you are donating eggs to them, stagger them.  That way they wont all hatch at the same time either.

Kate  :chook: :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 06:56:03 pm »
From what I have read they will fight over the eggs and if one lot hatch out before the others their is a risk of the other hens leaving their eggs when they hear cheeping chicks. :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS