Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what on earth is this???  (Read 7613 times)

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
what on earth is this???
« on: June 08, 2012, 04:52:52 pm »
Hiya,

I have 2 6 week old lambs, both feeding well, not yet weaned and one of them has a skin complaint.  :sheep:

I can best describe it as cradle cap or flaky eczema. It is on his face, around his muzzle and eyes and also on his legs, it is in patches and is the patches are balding.
Can any one help tell me what this may be??  ??? ??? ???

Other than his skin he appears well, lively is eating hard food and hay and I am slowly reducing his milk.

Can I treat it or is it a vet visit??

3 dogs,2 tortoises, 6 cats 4 hens 4 Belgians, 2 lambs,, 2 rabbits, fish, the list goes on!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: what on earth is this???
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 05:26:19 pm »
You would expect us to ask for a picture!  :)  It is hard to tell without.  They can get a rash - milk burn - from the milk, clean and dry their faces to stop this one developing.

If the skin seems sore, most rashes are soothed by Sudocrem.  If there seems to be any infection, use blue antibiotic spray.  If you think there is a risk of infection (eg, the skin is cracked), apply antiseptic eg., Septiclense spray or wash with Hibiscrub.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 05:38:29 pm »
Just wondering if it is the early signs of photosensitisation??

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 05:48:01 pm »
what exactly would that be??

3 dogs,2 tortoises, 6 cats 4 hens 4 Belgians, 2 lambs,, 2 rabbits, fish, the list goes on!!!

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 06:04:18 pm »
Take a look at http://www.pentalk.org/pentalk_vets.asp?nextpageID=26

It may have nothing to do with what your lamb has, especially as he seems well in himself and his  symptoms are nowhere near as dramatic. It's just the fact you mention the balding and I recall a fellow smallholder had a few sheep suffering with photosensitisation and the key symptom seemed to be loss of wool on the face.

I would have thought a phonecall to your vet may not go amiss - just in case. Good Luck!

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 06:33:11 pm »
Hi

I have tried to attach some photos but it doesnt seem to want to post them :-[ !!!! :-[  ahhh

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:03:59 pm »
I do photos through Photobucket.
Upload them into that, copy the IMG code (found in the link bit, icon like a chain) and paste here.

Could be:
Rain rot, midge allergy, zinc deficiency - can't tell til we see pics really.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 08:06:25 pm by jaykay »

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:35:01 pm »
Dermatophiliosis ( spelling ? ) I've had one with it, vet suggested washing with Hibiscrub he went downhill steadily and died. Watch for fly strike if it is,  it gives off a smell which attracts flies
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:37:20 pm »
Dermatophiliosis
that's it, common name 'rain rot'

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 08:32:47 am »

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 08:38:34 am »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 08:53:22 am »
Sweet little Swaley  :love:
So, how midgy is it where he lives? And how wet/warm has it been?

I ask because that could be both midges or rain rot, so conditions make one or other most likely....

Either way, I would try athlete's foot cream (careful, don't put too much near his eyes, you don't want the next rain to wash it in) - if it's fungus this should help, if it's midges apparently the Mycil cream has anti-itch stuff in it too.

kate. x

• Joined May 2012
  • west yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 08:58:18 am »
no noticable midges about,they are in part of my garden so think would notice, although they are under 2 large sycamore trees.
Very wet!! although got to say I think I have the only 2 lambs in west yorkshire who dont like rain! They nip in the shelter as soon as there is the slightest drop of rain!!
He has now got it on the 2 front knee joints.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 09:08:02 am »
Ringworm?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 09:11:38 am »
I'm pretty sure it's rain rot (dermatophilosis). He needs a shot of penicillin/streptomycin combination. WeAr gloves or wash well soon after, when dealing with him as people can get it too.
Mostly they do just mend but it can be contagious and it can spread.

Check he's getting good vitamins and minerals, as being a bit under the weather can make them more susceptible.

PS I don't think any animals (except maybe ducks) like rain, they just have to tolerate it - all will shelter given chance!

Here's a bit of info. rain rot in cattle
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:15:03 am by jaykay »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS