Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New tagging pliers needed - any suggestions?  (Read 5672 times)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
New tagging pliers needed - any suggestions?
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:47:02 am »
My Fearings pliers for plastic tags is fiddly to use because the tags don't sit in place in the applicator and fall out. I get around it by using Blue Tack, but I've decided to look for a new set. Also, the pigs are continually losing tags.
Anyone got any recommendations? I know some pliers have clips which hold the tags in place.

When I first got pigs, many years ago, I used Daltons, but I didn't like the thick plastic spike that had to be forced through the ear.

I'm also still on the lookout for some big tattoo pliers which can take 3 letters and 3 numbers, but have large characters. I think cattle pliers are the answer. I don't tattoo newborns - prefer to wait a few weeks.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Don't mind what they cost, but they have to be good. Hmm...might just post this in the cattle section...
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 01:00:11 pm by Tudful Tamworths »
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: New tagging pliers needed - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 12:26:13 pm »
Hi Liz
On the GOS website home page we're offering 14mm canadian tatooing equipment which may be of interest (maybe only numbers though) but worth a look, I use Ketchum pliers & tags for metal slaughter tags and Zee-tags for the plastic ones (button tags).
http://www.zeetags.com/wa.asp?idWebPage=12160&idDetails=118
http://www.zeetags.com/wa.asp?idWebPage=12160&idDetails=121
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »
I'll second the vote for the Ketchum pliers  :thumbsup:  (and if you check the website before ordering, you'll see there is mention of free pliers when you order tags....this is normally for big quantities, but I managed to get mine for half price along with a small order  ;) )
I think they're self release, either way as soon as they're tagged the tag is free of the pliers (unlike the Fearings one  :-\ ) so much easier for bigger/quicker pigs too  :D
Can't help with a recommendation for ear tattooing pliers - but I've seen them in Supplies for Smallholders, Fearings and other places too, will be watching with interest though, cos I'll have Tammies to do in January myself  ;)   :fc:
Karen x

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:15:37 pm »
Thank you both. Very helpful. Like the idea of the quick release on the Zeetags applicator - I've chased a few pigs around with pliers hanging from their ears, thanks to the rubbish Fearings ones!

re. tattooing, the best I've found so far are made by Ketchums (not the ones on the GOS site). Daltons stock a Ketchums one which has six spaces - still only 8mm high - but they use the chisel-point system, which gives a better tattoo. May just have to go for them.

Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:49:56 pm »
Right - I've gone for the Zeetags for my plastic ones! Thanks for the advice, Mandy. Couldn't find Ketchums ones, but these sound good - particularly the release mechanism!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:14:51 pm »
Another hands up for the Ketchum - great auto release as soon as the tag "clicks", so no damaged ears, even if they run away the tagger will just drop-out & the tag is neatly in place, with no blood (or tears on my part  ;)  ).
I got mine free with a small order of 10 herd tags for my meat KKs a couple of years ago, don't know what the deal is now.  Admittedly, I was very nervous about using them for the first time & waited for Karen's hubby to do my young boar before I'd do any myself - now I don't flinch, 1 click, a possible squeek & it's all forgotten  ;D
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Simple Simon

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 11:33:42 pm »
I use the Qwik tags and tagger as supplied by S for S and am very happy with them. 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 09:33:44 am »
I use Rototags and the supplied pliers from Daltons.

My experience of thick and thin posts for tags is that thin ones are easier to put in but tear ears far more easily. So I am sticking now to Rototags - they go in reasonably, the pliers work well and I lose far fewer tags, so fewer second goes needed.

jellybean

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:45:24 am »
My Fearings pliers for plastic tags is fiddly to use because the tags don't sit in place in the applicator and fall out. I get around it by using Blue Tack, but I've decided to look for a new set. Also, the pigs are continually losing tags.
Anyone got any recommendations? I know some pliers have clips which hold the tags in place.

When I first got pigs, many years ago, I used Daltons, but I didn't like the thick plastic spike that had to be forced through the ear.

I'm also still on the lookout for some big tattoo pliers which can take 3 letters and 3 numbers, but have large characters. I think cattle pliers are the answer. I don't tattoo newborns - prefer to wait a few weeks.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Don't mind what they cost, but they have to be good. Hmm...might just post this in the cattle section...
You will find the applicators and the tags are not compatible...if you choose one set of tags you cannot use some one else's applicator you have to use theirs   I have run into the same problem as well

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 09:33:56 am »
You will find the applicators and the tags are not compatible...if you choose one set of tags you cannot use some one else's applicator you have to use theirs   I have run into the same problem as well
Sorry, but I don't agree  :-\
The Fearing applicator (when used with Fearings tags) is fiddly and doesn't release properly, but the Ketchum ones work with all brands of tags without problems  :thumbsup:  (Just my opinion mind  ;) )
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 09:53:01 am »
jellybean is correct that not all aplicators can use all types of tags    happy hippy just may be lucky that her aplicator fits what tags she has purchased already  BUT there are a lot of tag suppliers out it is a multi milloin pound business cattle sheep goats and pigs need them and there new births evey year :farmer:

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 09:55:11 am »
BUT there are a lot of tag suppliers out it is a multi milloin pound business.......

I Wish !!
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 10:27:12 am »
but you are not making them sfs ;) :farmer:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 06:09:18 am »
I wasn't suggesting that I wanted to use my existing pliers with tags from a different company!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS