Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to introduce Daddy to chicks  (Read 2511 times)

GillB

• Joined Apr 2012
When to introduce Daddy to chicks
« on: June 07, 2012, 04:30:47 pm »
Hiya

Ive got 8 pekin chicks - 4 with two hens each that are about 4 weeks old now - the hens and cockerel normally live free range (in a pen at night).

These are our first chicks and was wondering when to introduce them to their Dad - is likely to attack them, for instance?

At the mo' they are in separate runs next to their night pen and within his sight and sound

I was wondering when to introduce them into the flock generally (there's only 3 other hens) - their Moms are v protective at the mo'

Wot d'you think?  Eager to learn, Ta :chook:
Gill

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Re: When to introduce Daddy to chicks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 05:42:36 pm »
I never reintroduce male chicks back in with Dad after one unfortunate incident where one of our cockerels pecked his son to death. I wait until I'm certain of their gender then only put back the girls at maybe three or four months old. The boys then go to the 'waiting for casseroling' pen to be fed grain until I have time to sort them all out.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »
My broodies have separate accomodation with their chicks. All other hens free range over about 2 acres ..... so lots of space to get away from each other. Until I think they are big enough not to be bothered by my cat or the sparrowhawk I only let them out while I am there to watch them. However my 6 cockerels have never hurt them or taken much notice of them for that matter. May go over and have a half-hearted look at them but nothing more. Same goes for other hens. Lots of friends around here do much the same and havent heard of any problems ever. It maybe different if they are in runs/enclosed areas.

Maybe just supervise their first outings.  ;D

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:02:10 pm »
I never separate mine out, and Ichabod is a gentle fellow. I would keep a close eye to start off when you do mix them, but all my Pekins are softies :love:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

GillB

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 03:42:13 pm »
Brill :)

Thanks

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »
I breed croads and the broodies introduce the chicks to the cock as soon as they take them out for a walk the cocks are excelent with chicks and lower their heads to chick height. The chicks approach and peck at his face. The cocks stand motionless until this introduction is over. I introduce my incubator chicks within about a week and no one hurts them.
In fact my 3 broodies moved out of their broody coops after about 3 days and moved into the main coop with all the adult hens and the cock. The babies get on fine with the grown ups even though the adults are a mixture of different breeds not just croads.

Your pekins are also an oriental breed with the same gentle nature so your cock will be fine Im sure.

:fc:   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS