Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Natural way to get rid of ticks?  (Read 8377 times)

nihicib2

• Joined Jun 2010
Natural way to get rid of ticks?
« on: June 03, 2012, 09:22:45 am »
Hi all
I recently moved my three horses to new pasture and they are covered in ticks, I've never had this problem before any advise on natural ways to get rid of them please

Brid  :horse:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Natural way to get rid of ticks?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 09:25:33 pm »
The only thing I can come up with is loads of garlic powder in a bit of feed each day.  :horse:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:31:43 pm »
Coating the ticks in Vaseline to smother them if there are not too many. I'd be inclined to use a good tick product than risk yourself contracting one of the tickbourne diseases if you get bitten.

Ticks - Nasty little critters

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 09:46:47 pm »
I dont know about detering them but I use a little plastic tool to get rid of them, when you press the little plunger the angled arms open, you place over the tick and release the plunger which then makes the arms hold the tick firmly but without severing any bits. You then twizzle it lots of times and the tick comes out whole. It removes the whole tick, mouth legs and all and even the head shy big horse lets me use it on his face.
only downside is its a different and better design to the uk ones Ive seen and this one comes from a french supermarket. think I will ask parents to send over a couple more.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 04:49:29 am »
You can get them out if you just twiddle your finger clockwise on their bodies. I used to do that but then I learned that twisting them any way made them regurgitate and therefore more likely to pass on any diseases they were carrying.

I also used to mash any I took off the dogs between my fingernails to make sure they were good and dead.
I now have Lyme's disease. Most likely from having been bitten by ticks myself, but I can't help thinking about all those crushed ticks and the inevitable cuts on my hands.

So however you deal with them, be careful.

Personally I'd get some proper, effective tick treatment for your horse - any chemicals are unlikely to be as nasty as the diseases ticks can carry  :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:24:21 am by jaykay »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:51 am »
i very much agree with the above, get rid of the blighters any way you can, not worth the dangers of what they carry...
Ollydog seemed to get them in our first year here, being so low to the ground they just used to hitch a ride, we bought the Otom tick twisters
http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick
Hope this helps.   Battles do a pest repellant too.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 11:25:05 am »
Is there the equivalent of Frontline or Crovect for horses?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 12:57:10 pm »
well i know your not supposed to but i use coopers spot on  mine as a routine spring thing and have never had any adverse reaction.  I remember asking my old vet what he thought about it and he said "although i cant advocate it as a prof, i do use it on my own horses" .....of course subject to testing on the individual animal as you do hear of some reacting.   ducks n hides.... :) 

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:15:05 pm »
Hi, for ticks cover them in vinegar as it makes the ticks unhook themselves so you can gently grab their bodies turn them anticlockwise and twist them out.  You know if you've got the whole tick as you can see their complete bodies once their withdrawn from your horse. This way they don't regurgitate inside your horse and the vinegar also works as a disinfectant.  If you don't get the whole tick then in the past, depending on the area, we poultice immediately to draw out any remaining bits of tick.  Clean thoroughly with hibiscrub (or similiar) and cover in antisceptic. 

Garlic powder is also another good way as is Aloe gel. Its not cheap but it makes a huge difference as it balances your horses immune system.

Hope this helps? Who knew that Sarsons would be so useful?!!! Good Luck!!  :wave:

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 03:42:10 pm »
We used to keep chloroform for removing ticks on dogs. It anaethesizes them so that they lose their grip and you can pull them out gently.  Also you only handle them in a pad of cotton wool. We then used to set fire to the tick,wool and chloroform. Simples. Can you still get chloroform though?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 04:40:22 pm »
Not as a private individual, nor ether.

But diesel 'starting fluid' can be 50% ether  ;) which would work as described. Just careful not to use it near any sparks......

Any form of twisting ticks, in whatever direction, causes them to regurgitate and is to be avoided - unless they're anaesthetised first.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 06:55:54 pm »
If you find a tick, the only safe way to remove it is with tweezers only. Bring tweezers as close to where it is attached to skin as possible, and grasp its mouthparts. Pull the tick straight back. Do not burn it with a match, do not put Vaseline or alcohol on it, and do not remove it with your fingers. Any of these methods will increase your risk of infection

From a Lyme's disease forum

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 10:55:30 pm »
The O'tom tick remover!!!!

Looks like the cheapest piece of plastic crap ever, but these thins are the business :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »
If used correctly they are great, but it is easy to snap the head if you are too quick or rough  :-\

Pretty cheap equipment to try tho  :thumbsup: if you are careful.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 05:49:48 pm »
Put some guinea fowl in the field - they love eating ticks
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS