Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep transport  (Read 6331 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Sheep transport
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 10:10:00 pm »
I see your point, but couldnt you easily say the same about horse riding or jumping tho?

I've assumed that the ponies/horses are quite frightened of fire and therefore rather a lot of force has gone into making them do what they do - and that they probably remain frightened?

I don't know enough about how horses seem to feel about riding and jumping. Certainly they seem wary at first - do they get to like it or not mind it? I don't know?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 12:10:57 am »
Ach, ponies/horses are quite frightened of lots of things - their own shadow, a paper bag, a polythene bag, a stick, a wheelbarrow, tractor, a person in a fluorescent jacket, silage wrap, a balloon - the list is quite literally endless.  They learn through repetition that these things don't hurt them and become calm when passing them.  I would imagine that no coercion but repetitive pressure-and-release type techniques have been used to acclimatise the ponies to the flames, which don't hurt them.  No way would they go through them if they thought they would hurt them.

Generally, horses that have been trained using coercion are pretty bad-tempered and unpredictable.  Not ones I would expect anyone to trust pulling a cart at speed over jumps between flaming poles.

Or perhaps I am all rather rosy-bespectacled about it all...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

deepinthewoods

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 08:31:16 am »
well i dont think its at all cruel.
more an excellent example of how a true bond of trust can be built between a horse and rider. well done them. good to see old skills being kept alive. :horse:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 08:41:07 am »
true bond of trust can be built between a horse and rider
That's generally how I see horse riding etc. so am happy to believe the horses trust their people enough to overcome their fear of whatever.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 10:27:03 am »
I think this thread has gorn a bit off topic from sheep transport.... ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS