Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: oranges  (Read 3068 times)

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
oranges
« on: June 05, 2012, 09:01:49 pm »
help please ,grocer has given me oranges are they ok for pigs?

kitchen cottage

Re: oranges
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:57 pm »
I used to get veg from the greengrocer, mine would never touch citrus or onions.  I can't see whats wrong with them but I don't think they'll like them.
Ask him for grapes, advocado, banana and melon next time, that was my pigs favourite mix ;) ;D

ppd

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Sutherland
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:18:26 pm »
I am new to pigs too, but don't think so! Bananas, apples, pears etc all ok but I think citrus may be a no no as can upset tummies!

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 09:36:55 pm »
if pigs are hank Marvin they will eat anything even you    some pigs will eat oranges some wont
some will eat onions some wont    onions can cause mouth ulcers that can be mistaken for foot and mouth
but everything in moderation :farmer:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:04:21 pm »
if pigs are hank Marvin they will eat anything even you    some pigs will eat oranges some wont
some will eat onions some wont    onions can cause mouth ulcers that can be mistaken for foot and mouth
but everything in moderation :farmer:
Same for parsnips & celery - sends everyone into panic of F&M too  :o  & I've been told that they can make sows barren, so I've never given them to mine.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:45:45 am »
My pigs eat oranges and don't suffer any ill effects from them. They're not what they go for first in a pile of fruit and veg, that place goes to apples for some and grapes for another. Ask your greengrocer to give you anything he's throwing out, what the pigs don't eat will go in the compost bin.

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:51:25 am »
Mine eat oranges (in small quantities) but get a mix of other fruit & veg too.
Pigs are a bit like us - everything in moderation  ;)
HTH
Karen  :wave:

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 07:50:38 pm »
thanks for the help . :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 09:42:56 pm »
Meg-pig likes oranges, takes 20-30 seconds to peel one with her nose then eats the flesh.  I don't give her many at a time or too often, just when I can get some substandard ones cheap.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS