Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vulva watch...... a bit like springwatch without the cameras  (Read 3292 times)

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
ok
yes you have all read correctly :o and for those who are friends on facebook will know i've been on 'watch' for the last week
I've had weaners and have recently collected two lovely saddlebacks (Kim and Aggie)
we would like to get them in-pig and will be trying out AI in a few months  :fc:
well been looking at vulvas waiting to see when they come into season. one (kims) looks a little bigger today; but she won't 'stand' and i'm beginning to think I'm imagining it all ;D
 :innocent: :innocent:
any other helpful tips please.....before people think i've completely lost it :D

HappyHippy

Re: Vulva watch...... a bit like springwatch without the cameras
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:13:45 pm »
You'll get the swelling starting about 24 hours before she comes to 'standing heat'. Tip; Don't check for standing heat when they're eating - they'll not budge !
You sometimes notice a bit of cloudy discharge too - so just keep watching and note it all down in a diary or calander somewhere.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:55:12 pm »
Thanks HH,
Kims is looking bigger today so i'm going to see if she will stand for me tomorrow
Mx

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 12:19:20 am »
Aah nature is a wonderful think Vulva watching pmsl as they say.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:50:19 pm »
Our Saddlebacks' vulvas turn pinky when they are in season, and yes, have a slight discharge too.
However, that's the lesser of the signs of them being in season as far as we are concerned.

It is significantly easier to tell what's going on from the front end...  Frothing mouth, wild, staring eyes, chomping the bars of the gate, all dolled up with glorious mud from the wallow, sporting straw nose hair extensions, and making grunty snorty noises designed to catch the attention of any passing boar. According to my OH, it isn't only the piggies who act like that when they are in season on our farm  :innocent:

'Think you fancy a bit of AI, do you, Buster?!'

:D

www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:18 am »
Well ...... Is she or isnt she?       How is it going?

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 08:51:59 am »
I think yes......
she is definitely changed in mood, follows me everywhere around the paddoack, grunting (not the hello grunting but a different one- still soppy and friendly. seems more interested in everything and calls to people wandering along the bridleway :eyelashes: :eyelashes:
craving carbs (in way of the large tree in the paddocks roots!!!!! i cover these up so OH doesn't see :innocent: :innocent: - well until the tree falls down anyway! ;) )
we are aiming to have them farrow oct/nov time so just getting the dates together

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 10:19:16 am »
Another option, but one to be used sparingly as it seems so mean to tease them unnecessarily, is a whiff of Boar Mate spray, which will tell you definitively whether they are ready or not, as they freeze statue-like on the spot for almost 10 minutes, presuming I suppose that you are just about to service them then and there.   But it is a useful tool to have available on the day if you are using AI and want to be sure you got the timing right - Tamsaddle

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:28:51 pm »
I think yes......
she is definitely changed in mood, follows me everywhere around the paddoack, grunting (not the hello grunting but a different one- still soppy and friendly. seems more interested in everything and calls to people wandering along the bridleway :eyelashes: :eyelashes:
craving carbs (in way of the large tree in the paddocks roots!!!!! i cover these up so OH doesn't see :innocent: :innocent: - well until the tree falls down anyway! ;) )
we are aiming to have them farrow oct/nov time so just getting the dates together

Sounds like she's raring to go!
My alpha sow, Portia, gets incredibly hormonal & will regularly breakout of the woods (2 or 3 days every 3 weeks) to try & get to the boars (which are kept behind stock fencing as well as electric) she then stands there, parading infront of him expecting him to tackle the fencing, while he's frothing away at the other side - little madam  :eyelashes:  ! The only time she won't run towards a shaking bucket  :innocent:
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS