Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do you sell your poultry with care sheets?  (Read 3946 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Do you sell your poultry with care sheets?
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:12:42 am »
Hi, I picked up 2x Goslings Thursday from a large but family run poultry business. They breed lots of different chickens, ducks, and wild type ducks, swans, wallabies etc. These are all for sale.

I asked for 2x day old goslings, these were caught up and handed over, no questions asked, no info on feeding, do I know they need heat etc. I was appalled! I literally could have been anyone! Luckily I have been looking into keeping them since last year and have brooded duckings and chicks, so felt ready for something different.

I am hopeing to breed some rare breed hens to sell, but will be doing a basic care sheet and will ask if people have kept hens before- I want my stock to go to good homes and notbe negleted.

Does anyone else sell their birds with care sheets?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Do you sell your poultry with care sheets?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:58:56 am »
I dont sell with care sheets but I know who I am selling to. I totally agree with you on the care front. Too many animals and birds are just sold for the cash without a thought of their well being.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »
I make any perspective customer take a written and verbal test before buying chickens or eggs for hatching.

It's a fairly basic 2 hour written exam, but I find it helps the buyer focus on the responcibility of poultry keeping.

:innocent:
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:28:56 pm »
I make any perspective customer take a written and verbal test before buying chickens or eggs for hatching.

It's a fairly basic 2 hour written exam, but I find it helps the buyer focus on the responcibility of poultry keeping.

:-J  That would certainly weed out the numpty's castle farm  ;D

Luckily i have had only one clueless prospective buyer who turned up with a tribe of snotty nosed kids who proceeded to chase my birds all over the field and the father thought it was hilarious. Needless to say they went away with no birds. ;)
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 03:01:51 pm »
I hate it at the summer shows where you see poultry for sale, and parents buying birds as pets for the children with no obvious preparation for their care. 'Can it live in the rabbit hutch' is one comment I overheard  ::) .  At another show I saw kids tormenting the ducks and the stallholder just ignored it  >:( .  Needless to say I could not keep quiet, made no friends there...

kegs

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 03:42:35 pm »

I've spent the last hour checking through the box of eggs you sent me and I can't find the exam papers anywhere.  Please send me another ASAP and advise on the criteria for the verbal exam.   ;)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 04:36:34 pm »
I don't sell birds myself, but when I bought  our first load of goslings from Gulliver's Geese I was given a care sheet and had a really helpful chat with them when I went to collect and it helped hugely!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 05:00:08 pm »
When I got my 4 hens there was no information given. Fortunately I had already been right through the book 'Right way to keep chickens' but the seller wasn't to know that.
I like the idea of a care sheet.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 10:55:28 pm »
When I decided to get chickens and where to get them from I phoned the poor lass up half a dozen times asking questions about feed,etc. Then on the day proceeded to ask another dozen about what she thought of this disinfectant and that powder etc. think she was glad to get rid of us ;D

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 12:06:24 am »
Thanks for your replies!
I always gave out care sheets when I sold my guinea pigs, African Pygmy Dormice and giant Land snails. Even if it was teaching people to suck eggs. I tried to just include the basics like the importance of vit c in gpigs and feeding live food to the dormice.

I intend to do the same with any poultry I sell.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 03:52:14 pm »
Funkyfish, care sheets are a genius idea. Our first hens were ex-batt girls and whilst we were incredibly lucky on their health, having read some real scare stories - there was no information on care either. Would certainly be more likely to buy/ recommend someone who 'grilled' me in advance about welfare and took the time, care and interest to ensure their animals get the best start / homes possible.  :wave:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 08:43:57 pm »
The Vernlass Collection had a golden rule -hens are never sold singley, only pairs or more. A novice won't have any idea that you can't keep one hen or that introducing just one hen to a flock can be murder -literally! I don't think they asked too many questions though? A novice wouldn't pay £100 for a pair of Blue Laced Wyandotte hens would they?

deepinthewoods

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 08:45:18 pm »

what? how does that work on ebay

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS