Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kune kunes meat  (Read 2221 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
kune kunes meat
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »
how old is to old for decent kune jionts, not fat jionts  but to tough,...as i have a freezer full and 2 more to slaughter they are now 1 year old i think as i was given them.

HappyHippy

Re: kune kunes meat
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:12 am »
We've always slaughtered for pork at around a year (mainly due to running out of stuff in the freezer) the 18month old ones we sent were made into sausages, bacon, burgers and belly ribs (BBQ season) so I can't tell you if the meat does get tougher after a year or not Harry  :-\  Sorry !

But, even the toughest joints (of any meat) can be made 'melt in the mouth' tender with the addition of marinades and a slow cooker  :yum:   :thumbsup:
HTH
Karen  :wave:

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »
Our gilt that we sent was over 2, sausages are fab and so were the ribs, i agree the other cuts worked better with a marinade and slow cooking. Freezer is looking kind of bare again so we have an 16 month ready to go so looking forward to tasting a younger model!! The rate we have gone through sausages we might ask for more and less of the joints.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:29:20 pm »
The eldest we have kept to slaughter was 14 months, but we have a "rescue" here at the moment who we are trying to slim down  ::)  she is about 30 months & her legs & feet are wrecked from a previous owners' ignorance about keeping KKs  :o
She will probably go in a few weeks, so I'll let you know the outcome.
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:19:02 am »
Our three boys are 20 mths now so would I be better making more sausages and fewer joints?

Meant to send them aware at Christmas but never got round to it.

I've been keeping a close eye on their fattiness so they're pretty good in that department.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS