Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Not quite a small holder!!  (Read 6386 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Not quite a small holder!!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 03:52:43 pm »
Chicks can be assorted colours depends on the type birds you are hatching. I have one sitting just now but hatching is a couple of weeks away. I would love some Buff Orpington birds they look stunning. may get some eggs to hatch.  :wave:

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 07:37:19 am »
So exciting,
other thing to watch out for is predators as chicks are very easy targets. We had 13 hatch last year and, as they got bigger and more inquisitive they all got picked off one by one. We suspected buzzards as no evidence was left. Covered run whenever you aren't around to monitor. Watching chicks hatch and develop is such a lovely thing. Enjoy!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 08:15:55 am »
Yes - chicks of any description are fascinating to watch and very rewarding to see them grow. We have ours joust outside the caravan window and it's better than TV!!!

As I look now I can see they are all sat in a huddle but the greens pile on top of which, one is having a nap in the "sun".
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 05:05:24 pm »
I used to have black and yellow chicks from my black hens.  Beautiful little balls of fluff.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS