Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A little farrowing advice needed  (Read 1726 times)

kitchen cottage

A little farrowing advice needed
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:28:58 am »
I have an essex pig Charlotte, whom I breed once a year,  She has had 5 previous litters with no problem but the piglets have always "eaten off her back" and so this time I was  extremely careful she was in prime condition before she got in pig.
She looked BLOOMING. She was massive.  She farrowed 6 weeks ago and had LOVELY piglets but the birth was a nightmare.  She was a week late, she took an hour and a half to deliver the first piglet and then, despite labouring nothing was coming down the birth canal.  I called my friend who runs the city farm he took felt up her.  It ended up with my WONDERFUL vet, two doses of oxytoxin (which did nothing really) and basically the vet getting her arm right the way up the canal to grab and pull.
I was expecting a dead litter because from the first to the second piglet it was 5 hours.  In fact they are the nicest litter she's had.
She is 5
My question is (yes, I got there eventually!) will the fact she had a poor delivery this time indicate she's likely to have a poor delivery again.
She picked up very well after and amazing had no infections (she had more hands in her than a boxing club gloves)
I am keeping one of her piglets as a replacement for when she retires.
I am very fond of her she is gentle a good mother and very easy to handle.
I put some piccies to show how large the piglets are... but they WEREN'T stuck
piglets mooching

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: A little farrowing advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:43:49 am »
Piggies look super, maybe you got her in too good a condition , too much internal fat for an easy birth, love your campaign chest and the jugs on top , Good to see a solicitor geting dirty hands legitimately. :-J :innocent:

HappyHippy

Re: A little farrowing advice needed
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:25:33 am »
I would be inclined to agree with Tiz  ;)  Internal fat can hamper the delivery, so maybe just ease back on the feeding a bit next time.
I'm waiting for an older sow to farrow soon, she had a bit of a difficult delivery last time round (we have oxytocin and anti-b's on standby) so will report back in July. But there will be more folk along soon to add their views.

Your piglets look great  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS