Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mother & Daughter  (Read 2457 times)

Weaner

• Joined Jan 2012
Mother & Daughter
« on: June 03, 2012, 07:51:32 am »
My OSB Sow is feeding 9m + 1f piglets which are due to wean soon and they are moving to outside paddocks.
She will be having a rest before going to the boar again
The paddocks are separate and to avoid the sow being alone I intend leave the gilt with her
Will this exted the period she producs milk for ? Are there any obvious drawbacks.
Andy.
Thank You for your replies but  she will be not going to the boar for 3 months and I want to avoid her being without Pig company for that long   :wave:

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:20:41 pm by Weaner »

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Mother & Daughter
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 01:58:05 pm »
My OSB Sow is feeding 9m + 1f piglets which are due to wean soon and they are moving to outside paddocks.
She will be having a rest before going to the boar again
The paddocks are separate and to avoid the sow being alone I intend leave the gilt with her
Will this exted the period she producs milk for ? Are there any obvious drawbacks.
Andy

I think you'll find that the main bulk of the people on here would wean all the pigs off her.
It may prolong when she comes back to cycle, and yes she will continue to milk it, but will eventually dry up any way as a natural response to having so few piglets.
I think she :eyelashes: :-* will soon forget how lonely she is in 4 days time when lover boy comes along ;) , so all in all it will be pointless.

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 02:19:56 pm »
as has been said before pigs don't read what they are supposed to do
we had a young Hampshire boar  intact  running with a tamworth sow and her piglets (3) and he nailed her so that theory does not work they still cycle when suckling and if you work it out they continue the 3 weekly cycle right through pregnancy then after birth and  just continue on that course     and if you are very observant you will see the cycle but not as pronounced as it is with no piglets :farmer:

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 03:24:30 pm »
as has been said before pigs don't read what they are supposed to do
we had a young Hampshire boar  intact  running with a tamworth sow and her piglets (3) and he nailed her so that theory does not work they still cycle when suckling and if you work it out they continue the 3 weekly cycle right through pregnancy then after birth and  just continue on that course     and if you are very observant you will see the cycle but not as pronounced as it is with no piglets :farmer:

I would not leave 1 piglet on a sow as I would not want anything to risk a "pronouned heat" is what I am actually saying, "prolonged" or not.
It is not an option to me. :wave:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:43 am »
What i would do is wean all the piglets and take mum pig away from them and let her have a rest on her own until her milk dries up, you can then take the girl pig and put her back with mum for company. That way you will have no little accidents. You can monitor mum back to condition and then decide when you want her to go back to the boar or be AI'd.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS