Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Open Day at Auchtavan, Braemar 3rd June  (Read 2558 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Open Day at Auchtavan, Braemar 3rd June
« on: June 02, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »
If you are in the locale, you might find this interesting "Once ferm touns were an integral part of the north-east way of life, now few survive. Remnants of the once thriving community of Auchatavan, high above the River Dee in Glen Fearder, can still be visited thanks to the efforts of the community of Braemar.
Walkers can walk to the old settlement at any time but on Sunday (3rd June) from 12 until 3, visitors will be able to see inside the hingin lum cottage, the horsemill and the Queen Mother’s former picnic cottage. The ruined cruck framed cottage and mill were restored in 2008 by Braemar Community Ltd to give an insight into a way of life now long gone.
Countless generations scraped a living in these remote places in the centuries before the industrial revolution. Now all that’s left of many are rows of stones marking where the houses once were. Auchtavan is situated about 6 miles north-east of Braemar. Cars can be parked in the lay-by opposite the turn-off, marked Aberarder. It is then a 2.5 mile uphill walk to the settlement. The track passes through birch woods and open moorland and can be quite rough, walking shoes and outdoor clothing are recommended."
  Event Details     Event Organiser:  Neil Bain               Venue:  Auchtavan, Glen Fearder, Crathie, AB35 5TQ               Event Cost:  Free               Who should attend this event?:  Walkers, families               Event Dates:  03/06/2012               Time/Duration:  12 noon to 3 pm              Contact Details     Contact Firstname:  Neil                Contact Surname:  Bain               Telephone Number:  013397 41219               Email:  info@braemarcastle.co.uk             

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
Re: Open Day at Auchtavan, Braemar 3rd June
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:27:05 am »
That would be interesting - maybe another day, too far to just pop over today (my friend mumbled something about having to dag 230 sheep, so I thought I'd better go and see if I remember how to do that).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS