Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to Worm  (Read 4660 times)

caroline griesel

• Joined May 2012
  • SOUTH AFRICA
When to Worm
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:04:55 pm »
 Hi, please can someone tell me when to deworm my two gorgeous Lambs, one is nearly a month old, and the other one two weeks old. Patrick ( the second one) looks a bit wormy but i have not seen any in their poos......and also what de_wormer to use ???
 Thanks so much

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: When to Worm
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:24:07 pm »
I'd do a faecal worm egg count first. If they are pet lambs and on land that hasn't had sheep on it, they may not have worms - no point in treating something you haven't got. You can get kits from Suuplies for Smallholders (click on the icon below)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:38:29 pm »
Yup, that's the way to go
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

caroline griesel

• Joined May 2012
  • SOUTH AFRICA
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 07:15:04 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Brilliant thanks so much :sheep:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:17:49 pm »
Yup, we did worm our sheep last week at shearing, but the vet said as we are not heavily stocked for the size of field, you shouldn't really bother.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

caroline griesel

• Joined May 2012
  • SOUTH AFRICA
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:09:54 am »
 :thumbsup: ;D ;D ;D Ha Ha Ha!!!!! so i must not panic as i only have 2 pet ones :innocent:

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 11:34:11 am »
daft question on worming theme....
in terms of parasites that affect sheep (worms, fluke etc) what is the life-cycle of the larvae? ideally how long should a pasture be rested?
I currently allow a neighbouring farmer to graze our pastures until we get our flock of shetlands (around August time). i was thinking of resting the fields for around 4 weeks?

Thanks
Jon

PS Shetlands will be wormed before they arrive. They haven't got far to travel...I'll be getting them from another neighbour  :farmer:
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

JMB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 11:52:50 am »
Um...the life cycle of larvae. Too complicated for me to explain I think.
My sheep book , however, recommends that ewes go in to a field/paddock thats been rested for 3 months before lambing. I assume because of worms etc. So the thinking may be the same.
That might be the Best Case Scenario, and if you have limited space might not be realistic.
Interested to see what other people say.

p.s I forgot to add that my sheep book also says that - ideally- you should leave your land clear for a year before you put any more animals on it. I wish we had done because I could have done a soil test, sorted the weeds etc.
But it's difficult to wait when you have the sheep bug xxx
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:01:35 pm by JMB »

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:12:21 pm »
Again, think it depends on how heavily stocked you are and the condition of the animals - our field was free for about 2 months last year and we had only 4 sheep in it until recently - the grass has really come on and it looks lush and very clean, so again depends on the weather, your land etc - don't think there's any set rules you have to go with your instinct.  From what my vet said though, don't get paranoid about worming if you think they look well and your land is good.  I think it's easy to over-worry, I know I do. 
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

kumquat

• Joined May 2012
  • Ruthin, North Wales
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 02:28:14 pm »
it was more curiosity than anything else

for some reason I've got 21 days in my head, but i'm not sure where I've read it / dreamt it   :-\ . i'll definitely be going down the FEC route and treat any findings

Cheers
Proud member of the Soay Sheep Society :thumbsup:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:42:32 pm »
this link tells you a bit about the life cycle - somewhere between 3-12 weeks, depanding on weather.http://www.farmanimalhealth.co.uk/sheep-worms#scops

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS