Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from sunny France  (Read 3654 times)

quackersinfrance

• Joined Jun 2012
Hi from sunny France
« on: June 02, 2012, 06:07:03 pm »
Hi everyone,
When I first adopted my pot belly pigs a few years back I found the A.S.  forum very helpful and have kept in touch, albeit sporadically, since then reading about all things, not only pigs.
Now I have a fully occupied poultry pen (and barn for night times)  -  2 Silkies,  a Red Warren,  2 lovely grey coloured ladies I think are also Warrens (?),  3 Sussex and 2 Pekin female ducklings.
And… well, I just wanted to share my joy because these ladies never fail to make me smile, and sometimes laugh out loud,  with their antics.
And I look forward to becoming part of the A.S. "community" once again.
Anyone under any stress or feeling  “down” often… should keep chickens and ducks.
I defy anyone watching them not to smile and feel all is well with the world!
Can chickens have individual characters?  I should say so!
Our Silkies like human contact and like to have a gentle stroke along their necks.  Mostly they’re submissive to the other larger  hens but stand their ground if there are tasty worms up for grabs.
One Silkie(Sofia) lets the other  catch tasty creatures while the other hens aren’t looking and then sneaks alongside and pinches said cache out of her mouth.
The other hens too are now used to us and “human-friendly” and like a little contact if/when they want it (sometimes they just say “Oh, it’s you.  To be honest I just want to be left alone at the moment, I’m a bit busy”)
And the young ducks are adorable. They never leave eachother’s side but get along well with all the hens too.  When they first discovered their pond we hardly got any work done that day because we were too busy watching them.
Anyway, suffice to say I’m glad to once again re-join this great forum and share stories with fellow chicken & duck keepers.  Though I have done my research (as much as anyone can) I have no doubt I shall be asking advice at some point in the future.
I hope the weather is being kind to you all back there in the UK. I have been melting today and very tempted to join the ducks in that little pond!
This hot sun could make me quackers!... actually, too late, I'm already there!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hi from sunny France
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:10:08 pm »
Hello and welcome from sunny Carnoustie  :wave:

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:07:52 pm »
Hi, Loved your post! Its great hearing other people love spending time with their chickens and ducks; just because! Our girls, and boys, are fun and full of character. Years ago I read an article outlining that keeping poultry was the most theraputic - more than cats, dogs or horses. At the time we were in absolute dissagrement - having not kept chickens or ducks, but now we do there is no looking back!! They are glorious and all individuals!! Hope to hear more of their, and your, antics!! We're new to this, fab, site too and are moving to the Peak District at the end of the month to our own peace of self sufficiency paradise!! Have a great jubilee bank holiday weekend! Kindest regards. Nicki x

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:24:18 pm »
Hello QIF  :wave: from a cold damp Durham. Not as kind as it has been  ::)

I find myself smiling and chatting to  our hens going about their day too. They are funny characters aren't they. Look forward to your input on the forum  :thumbsup:

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:26:30 am »
Hi from the Isle of Mull  :wave: I also love watching what my chickens get up to. They are brilliant  :chook: :chook:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 10:40:30 am »
hi from the highlands of scotland

quackersinfrance

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 11:12:52 am »
Great to "meet" you all and Nicki, good luck with the move. When we were in the UK we had many lovely camping and walking trips in the Peaks. I'm sure you'll love the area as well as your new way of life.

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 02:15:48 pm »
Hi, Thank you for your kind words - will be keeping you posted! We could not be more excited!! Still loveing the fact you name your girls, Sophie is a delightfull name! Ours are after favourite book characters, musicians or people who inspire! Hope the weather is still sunny for you, if you're missing the rain, can happily send some your way!!! Nicki   :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:34:42 pm »
 :wave:   Hi and welcome from soggy Shropshire.  I used to love my hens and ducks but can't keep them where I live now.  My goats are great stress relievers too.  I have a friend who has mental illness and rings sometimes to say she's had a bad day so can she do the evening milking.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:45:08 pm »
Hi Quackersinfrance and welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in France are you?

We keep chickens and are exporting all 33 of them to France with us in September -rental in South Dordogne. Yes all of ours have characters, but none more so than Bottom our pet Buff Orpington cockerel. We're retiring early for a smallholding on a larger scale than the one we have.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS