Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Happy Jubilee to all from a newbie TAS!  (Read 4050 times)

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
Happy Jubilee to all from a newbie TAS!
« on: June 02, 2012, 05:21:13 pm »
Hi, Happily Jubilee weekend everyone :-)

Jack & I have finally decided to throw caution to the wind and set up our own small holding paradise in the seething metropolis that is the Peak District! We move at the end of June, from sunny Melton Mowbray, and would really appreciate any advice on raising Old Spots and Saddlebacks or if there are any pearls of wisdom on which sheep-for-beginners might be better to start off with.  We'll have almost 15 acres which will be sectioned off and rotated for fruit & veg, an orchard, bees (hopefully), horses, chickens, ducks and, of course, the dogs! Any help or advice would be much appreciated and very welcome! Thank you! Nicki x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Happy Jubilee to all from a newbie TAS!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:12:28 pm »
Hi and welcome from sunny Carnoustie  :wave:

Have a read through the articles on the main site (we're not JUST a forum  ;D ) for some basic advice, then ask away. Lots of very experienced and helpful piggy people on here.

For beginners sheep, see Ryelands  :thumbsup:

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:01:31 pm »
Hi, and thank you for the heads up on Ryelands. Only discovered you today and have spent most of the day researching.  This is by far the most informative, and friendly!! There is so much to learn! The one in pigs is so helpful.  Hope you're having a fab bank hol weekend! Nicki x

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »
hi
you may not be too far from me :thumbsup: , where abouts in the peak will you be. we have 2 saddlebacks and are hoping to have some little'uns towards the end ofthe year
M

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:26:27 pm »
Hi Manian, Thank you for your post. We'll be in Pikehall from the end of June, just outside Cromford and not too far from Matlock Bath just off the High Peak Trail. Is that your neck of the woods?!! Potentially the end of the year would be perfect timing, for us!

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:18:34 pm »
hi we're in denby village now so not far. Little blue will be within spitting distance  ;D - not that I've ever seen her spit :innocent: :-J
look forward to perhaps meeting up.
Mx

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:28:09 pm »
Hi nick,  :wave: from cold blustery Durham.

It sounds an exciting time for you. Good luck with the move and luck forward to your input on the forum.  :thumbsup:

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:40:50 pm »
Manian, sounds like a plan - will look forward to that. Please do keep in touch about Little Blue and the pending arrivals :wave:

Mammyshaz, thank you for your post. It really is very exciting!! We've got a small, small holding now but this will be a massive step up! Reading everything I can lay my hands on!! Hope all well with you in blustery Durham? :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:39:18 pm »
  :wave:   Hi and welcome from soggy Shropshire.  We like to holiday in that area so will be angking for an invite for a cuppa. Enjoyed visiting Little Blue last year and will be seeing them again later this year.

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 09:32:14 am »
I think that everywhere is a bit soggy at the moment, after 24 hours of solid rain! Can't wait to get to the Peak District and you would be very welcome!! May well be picking your brains on goats before too long!! Hope all else well with you?  :wave:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »
Will definitely visit.  Anything you want to know just ask.  If I don't know, someone will.  Goats are great fun.

Polished Arrow

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Forest of Dean
  • www.cinderhilllfarm.com
    • www.cinderhillfarm.com
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 02:37:30 pm »
We made the move last summer and haven't regretted it for one moment.  Hope everything goes well for you and that you find it everything you hoped life to be. 

My best advice is:  get good training!  We spent several days having bespoke training (just us and the teacher Sue) at Garden Farming:  [size=78%]http://www.gardenfarming.org/[/size].  I can think of no better way to put good foundations down for the future.  It will help you with the many decisions you'll be needing to make in the coming years.

Welcome to the Forum  :wave:

www.cinderhillfarm.com

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
Anais Nin

NickiWilliams

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 02:59:40 pm »
Mad Goatwoman of Madeley; welcome anytime  :wave: Goats are definately on the agenda once we're settled.

Polished Arrow - invaluable advice. Thank you. We do have a small, small holding now but at 10+ acress this is on a much bigger scale! Always good to go by a recommendation. Thank you for the kind wishes, couldn't be more excited! Where did you move from / to?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS