Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nanny off her feet  (Read 4847 times)

Talisker

• Joined Apr 2009
Nanny off her feet
« on: April 22, 2009, 11:54:39 am »
I have a very happy British saanen goat who seems to have liost the use of her legs.  Brought in a few weeks ago, eating like a horse goat, but I presume has lain down too long and she def won't get up.  Any tips on help?
Have had her suspended on a pallett, and on a bale, rolled her on her back to try to get her to exercise her muscles.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:01:32 pm by Talisker »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Nanny off her feet
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 03:05:03 pm »
Don't feed her and when she is hungry she'll maybe get up and follow you for the food?  Is she overweight anyway?  I find it hard to get up froma chair soemtimes, but it's my own doing ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 08:12:47 pm »
Could it be milk fever? Had she recently kidded? Others here will know better than me about this but more info would be helpful.

Talisker

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:33:11 pm »
Not kidded this year - she was thinnish when we brought her in - wouldn't say she's overweight either.  Wondered if she might have had a mild stroke?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 05:00:50 pm »
Am I right in thinking she was walking when she arrived?

If not up and going soon she never will be.....it would be cruel to leave her like that and I would get a couple of people to lift her....If she can take no weight.....do the kindest thing and have her put to sleep.

Big animals that 'go down' very rarely get up again even with slings and the best treatment
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 10:41:34 pm »
Hi Talkisker, how is your girl now? Hopefully she is on the mend.

James

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 10:47:07 pm »
Its unusual for goats to go down anyway- they tend to do the opposite and refuse to sit down, because they know they won't be able to get up again.

Have you felt down the legs for anything hot? Particular the feet in case its laminitis? And I'm assuming you would have mentioned if she was pregnant? I have known goats go off the legs in the few weeks before kidding, which can be a couple of things.

Beth

Talisker

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 02:25:37 pm »
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  Unfortunately she has now died.  Looking back I am pretty sure she had some sort of stroke - one eye wasn't opening properly for a few days and that was around when she stopped using or even trying to use her front legs.  She gave us a cracking pair of twins a year back and we'll miss her.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 02:42:08 pm »
I am sorry to hear that. I lost a Pygmy Goat a few years ago and it was a terrible experience. The vet think he died of somme sort of Meningitis but none of the other 3 had anything. In the end it also looked as though Wallace had had a stroke - he looked like he had brain damage if that makes sense? All through the treatment the vet has assured me he was going to be ok and not to worry! We had to eventually put him to sleep as he started fitting, not nice and he is still missed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS