Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broken leg  (Read 8981 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Broken leg
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 01:58:02 am »
And me - I am finding it very difficult to watch her hurt and be able to do nothing for her  :'(

Horrible for both of you  :bouquet:

There's no way it can be put in some sort of splint to hold it a bit more steady for a few days?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 08:17:19 am »
That's really bad luck for both of you - must be so difficult seeing her like that - hope it heals quickly  :bouquet: :bouquet:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 08:34:28 am »
There's no way it can be put in some sort of splint to hold it a bit more steady for a few days
aarggghh, what is with this 'new' quote thingammy  >:(

Sadly in some ways, it doesn't need it. The joint is rock solid, the ligaments are bust and she can't 'operate' the bottom of the leg as there's nothing to move it with and the bones are all in the wrong places anyway  :P  But it's not unsteady, just unusable with the foot hanging front down.

She can't use the leg, so can't jump about which is pretty sad when that seems to be the reason for a goat kid's existence. And right now I can't see how that will change though I'm willing to hope that it might.

I will try some 'occ therapy' with her once the swelling and such has gone down, to see if I can teach her to use it in its current state.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:36:45 am by jaykay »

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 11:03:30 am »
How awful for Cali and, because you have to watch her and there is so little you can do to alleviate the problem or the pain, for you.  I have watched my kids belting about and wondered how they stay in one piece - my conclusion is that they are only ever one miscalculation away from injury and that all one can do is keep fingers crossed and hope it stays that way!

I am glad her new owner still wants her - once the swelling settles down and she has learnt to get around with her disability she will hopefully have a long productive life.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 11:21:03 am »
That's what the vet said. I did ask him if I should call it a day with her and he said no, she'll have a perfectly fine life, it'll bother you much more than it does her. It being a back leg especially.

So - we'll see how she goes.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 12:06:44 am »
Poor girlie and poor you. In fact, you probably feel it more than her.  Hope it heals up quickly.  glad her new owner still wants her.  Soundsl ike a caring person.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 12:12:16 am »
Oh, no ....what a dreadful thing to happen.  Unfortunately goats are so boisterous, these things happen.

I have had two older goats have this happen.  The vet basically told me just to let it heal, after giving them painkillers.  I had to keep them in a small pen for a few weeks.  I honestly thought on both occasions the leg was broken, as the goats were not putting any weight on their leg.

It took a while (one was a long time) but amazingly both goats recovered well, and apart from walking a little stiff on that leg - and probably only me noticed this - they had no further problems. 

Fingers crossed all will be well with your little one.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 04:40:04 am »
Oh, that's reassuring Roxy, thank you for telling me.
I've been awake for a couple of hours now, thinking about it and worrying.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 09:31:27 pm »
I once visited a goat farm and one goat had a leg missing.  Aparently she's smashed it too badly to repair but manages fine with just the three.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 10:03:38 pm »
My parents, both pretty experienced with sheep and dogs, if not goats, were round this afternoon. We sat and watched Cali keeping up with her mum and sister up the ghyll and concluded that although I am very sad she can't do the jumping about bit, it's early days yet and she is managing just fine already.

I am very sad. But am resolved to try to stop stressing about it, since Cali, bless her, is just getting on with it.

She has the runs quite badly - stress? Metacam injection? Gas and air? All of the above?
Was going to syringe her with bio yoghurt but don't want her struggling and hurting her leg. Will see how she's going tomorrow.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 10:10:31 pm »
Metacam can cause gut upset so yoghurt would be a good plan. TBH I wouldn't physio, the joint tissue probably needs to  fuse to heal so more movement causes breakdown of healing. She is very young so a few weeks and she should be bouncing  :fc:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 11:23:06 pm »
Right, if gut not right in the morning will find a wriggle-free position for yoghurt eating  ::)

Yes, agree about the physio having had a gentle look/feel today - it needs leaving alone. I'm just a bit worried about the upside down foot.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 11:40:29 pm »
I'm just a bit worried about the upside down foot.
:o  Oh!  That sounds more extreme than my mental picture...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 08:46:12 am »
I'm just a bit worried about the upside down foot.
:o  Oh!  That sounds more extreme than my mental picture...

I just mean that because her leg is hanging, the front of the foot is dragging on the ground not the bottom, as she has no ligaments to be able to tip her foot into the right position. In a dog that had this happen, it 'wore out' the front of his foot and has to wear a boot.

In fact Cali can lift her foot clear of the floor from her hip so she might be ok.

When I was thinking of physio that's what I was thinking of, somehow helping her to put her hoof down again. But I think MammyShaz is right that all that will do is damage the healing process  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS