Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Car Boot Sales  (Read 6435 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Car Boot Sales
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:54:22 am »
I've lived here nearly 3 1/2 years now and there are still packing boxes in the barn that have never been opened.

Considering that it was all in storage for 2 years before that I think it means that I don't need any of it!!

I've decided to try my hand at selling it all at a car boot sale.

Any advice will be gratefully received  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Car Boot Sales
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 08:15:18 am »
Don't let other traders go through your stuff while you are setting up your stall , Get there early so you can unpack without the these vultures nicking all your good stuff. Refuse to sell anything before your ready.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:50:28 am »
That's great advice, thank you tizaala.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:50:38 am »
have prices on stuff before you go
also pick your boot sale well,
there are 2 around here. one you can't sell for pennies, the other sell at good price
good luck

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 08:56:05 am »
Visit one first to get an idea of the prices in the area.
Don't be bullied into dropping the price too low for good quality products, I've found the potential buyer will come back and buy it. Sometimes you feel some people want everything and pay next to nothing  ::)

Take plenty of change with you.

Hot flask of coffee for an early starter is  definitely worth while. And enjoy the experience  :thumbsup:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 08:59:22 am »
Julie S,
I've never sold at a car boot myself byt my sister had the problems that have been mentioned, other traders going through her stuff before she had unloaded. Despite charging very little for her stuff she had quite a lot knicked too so make sure that you have others with you to help keep an eye on things.
Good luck
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:02:23 am »
Not done boot sales as such but regularly sell soap at local fairs.

Definitely take lots of change, take a packed lunch, be ready to 'read' people - ie. some want to banter, others avoid eye contact altogether and they just poke through your stuff and shuffle off  ;D  If you have a pop up gazebo take it! take somethign to anchor it down to the ground/car too - saves getting all your stuff soaking wet should it rain.
I get cross with the other stall holders hanging about as I set up, I find it a bit stressful as I need space and time to make the display look nice so I'd agree wtih the others about saying you aren't ready yet but look forward to seeing them a bit later.
take a calculator if mental maths isn't your strong point (like mine!) maybe take some carrier bags, good way to recycle them and useful for your customers.
I get my kids (if they are there) to hang about the stall periodically as for some reason it draws the crowd over if it looks popular, soon as they see customers the girls know to mooch away so they can see my stock clearly
Keep smiling, enjoy yourself and anything you take over pitch fee is a brilliant bonus  :thumbsup:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:14:33 am »
take food with you, dont want to spend all your hard earned cash on the bacon butties!
remember you are selling it because you dont want it and you dont want to take it home but people do want things so cheap so start at a good price in the morning and if someone offers a silly price just tell them if you still have it at 2pm they can have it then......

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 09:50:48 am »
Do take plenty of bags, know your prices and keep a wriiten note of them so you can double check if price falls off. Enjoy your day.  :thumbsup:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 10:23:00 am »
Fantastic advice everyone.  Thank you so much.

I feel a little more prepared now.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 11:09:51 am »
all I'd add to the above is avoid eating/drinking too much so you can avoid using the facilities. My experience of bootfair bogs is they are pretty grim.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 06:00:56 pm »
Take as many extra people with you as you can re 'guarding' the car when setting up - and creat a physical 3 sided barrier to you boot before you start unpacking - as others have said, you will have dealers and scrap metal people after brass physically in your face before you even get out of the car.  Once youve set up though I think it was great fun - first time we were strict on price and took quite a bit home to sell on ebay atc and second time in an 'everything must go' frame of mind.  Made lots the first time and about £50 the last time. Books CDs Pictures and ornaments went well with us. Good luck

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 11:10:14 pm »
All the above, plus be prepared to sell the cr4p and bring perfectly good stuff home, that's what happened to me.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

omnipeasant

• Joined May 2012
  • Llangurig , Mid Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 11:07:05 am »
Lol JulieS, I have stuff I have never unpacked in an outside loft. Probably full of mouse nests by now.
Good luck with the boot sale. :hshoe:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 12:18:08 pm »
Thank you so much everyone.

Tomorrow is the big day.  The weather forecast is for a dry day.

I'm packing everything up today and will be ready for the morning.

Luckily it's an afternoon sale.  So I don't have to leave here until 10.30.  Time for milking and then feeding everyone before I go.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS