Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stargazing chuck !  (Read 2384 times)

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
Stargazing chuck !
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:46:46 am »
Help required my 'broodie' chuck has starter to 'stargaze' which i am lead to believe is a vitamin deficiency.

Assistance required - what vitamin and were do i get it please ?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Stargazing chuck !
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 08:51:11 pm »
Stargazing in adult chickens is a neurological problem Juno. Can be caused by heat stroke. Although I think Anti-inflammatories can ease the condition slightly it is essentially irreversable. Try Googling it as it was my wife who did the research after we had one. With chicks it would be a vitamin deficiency of the parent, but that would be irreversable as well.

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:52:53 pm »
Ahh poor lass, although she does look brighter this morning and has stopped her constant 'brooding' to get up and eat !

I will have a 'google' and she how she goes

Thanks for your advice x

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 08:29:28 pm »
Are you sure it's Stargazing Juno, if she can eat and drink? The startgazing I am referring to is when the head rolls backwards, so effectively they are looking backwards with everything upside down. The head is usually tilted to the side slightly, but in our case it wasn't and the hen went into a wild thrashing panic. Suprisingly when we offered her Yorkshire Pudding (her favourite) her head position returned to normal to eat it, then went back to Stargazing. She was thrashing about so much we hastily despatched her before she injured herself as well.

Juno

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 10:23:13 am »
Thanks for your replies, she was throwinig her head back and flayling about with wings flapping etc, but not all the time she was also finsding it difficult to walk, kinda on her tippy toes !!

I got the vitamin suppliment and thought it can't do any harm ! so left her too it, she has been on one nest or another since mid Feb so was very thin and probably quite weak too, but she was now willing to get up and move about to eat/drink etc.

I left her in the capable hands of my mum while i went to Eygpt for a week  8)  i have come back and she is fine not a flutter, flap or head roll in sight  ;D  whatever it was seems to have dissapearered xx

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:42:48 pm »
Amazing Juno. Wasn't stargazing then as that's permanent, so perhaps it was some kind of trapped nerve after sitting for so long which caused similar symptoms?

What did your mum do to her?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS