Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The cheek of some people!  (Read 4029 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
The cheek of some people!
« on: July 17, 2012, 01:38:57 pm »
I have my lovely pygmy kids advertised for sale.  Lots of interest, but quite a lot of enquirers are quite a distance away, so the transport costs is off putting.

My ads clearly state what the kids are, where we are based, the price, and the fact I want loving homes for them.  I like to think I am a good judge of character, but it is hard to tell over the phone or internet of course .....but, should a potential buyer turn up, and I am not happy, then, and maybe I am wrong, I will not sell.

I am getting calls asking if I will deliver the kids, and yes, for fuel and within a reasonable distance, then yes (and it would let me see where/how the goats would be kept of course!).  But, a reasonable distance is not 200 miles away, and oh, they cannot afford to pay fuel!!  Well, neither can I.  One man keeps ringing, and saying he wants them delivered (for free) and would I knock the price down for "the job lot".  I have a feeling he is a dealer, and already has homes (and a profit).  I have said NO .....each time!!  Another person rang and said they were for a friend, who could not afford to pay ......would I give them away?  In that case, how can they afford to keep the goats?

I am willing to swap, as it says in the ad, for a larger dairy goat, or goatling.  There is no mention of me wanting intact males, castrated males,  pigs, sheep or anything else, that people try and offer me!!!!

I am in no rush, and will keep the kids until the right homes come along.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: The cheek of some people!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »
And rightly so! That are to gorgeous to risk going somewhere they are not loved and cared for, which does involve costs.
I have a certain little lady following me around the yard as much as she can and shouting every time she sees me til I go give Her a cuddle  ;D

the great composto

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:11:53 pm »
Yes cheeky but who could blame them for trying to get their hands on your pygmies on the cheap and with free delivery.
Wasnt me BTW :innocent:

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 02:21:12 pm »
Hmm ... the Great Composto .....are you sure one of the calls was not you?  ;D I am off farming stock and am all for bartering, but there is a limit as to what I would try when ringing about livestock!!

Oh, Priscilla .....I do miss her!!!  Sally, she loves cuddles and the more you give her, the more she will want.  Its hard not to, cos she is so cute!!

If I could find a home like Priscilla has gone to, for the others, that would be great ....I would be so happy.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 06:49:51 pm »
You are so right to be cautious !!!!!!        You hav my full support in this.
If you haven't already, have a look at UKGoatsOnline....they have a largish Pygmy wanted section....will need to sort out some of the people I expect.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:00:49 pm »
Some people will try anything so stick to your guns. We once delivered a pony I was selling. lady liked everything about him then said she would pay me less. i put him straight back in the trailer. She paid up but I was in two minds wither just to take him back home. As it turned out he had a good home. would never deliver again before being paid in full.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 09:17:14 pm »
Been there done that.In my nieve days I would drop the price to a good home only to go into market a few weeks later to see it dragged out by the horns by a dealer.I'd rather eat them myself ;)

bangbang

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 10:54:24 pm »
If you don't like there approach I personally would tell them to.......* .When we sell our pygmies we
insist they visit us first, we then can see their nature etc. if we feel there not suitable to own them
we don't sell to them. We've had calls, emails,etc from Russia, Saudi,etc. wanting to buy them all.........don't think so!
Our policy is to make sure the quality of care is as good after we sell them, as they have had with us. I know it can't be guaranteed but we do our best.
One other note..always leave yourself an escape clause....ie..Its my OH selling them, leave your number , I'll get back to you!.......wait for the return call, and if you don't like there approach...  Oops sorry! there sold!

And Dont be bullied into selling them for nothing! remember the costs you have put in!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 10:56:09 pm by Bangbang »

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 11:00:27 pm »
Stick to your guns Roxy - you know your animals & the right sort of person who'll treat them proper  :thumbsup:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:33:49 am »
A lot of people seem to be opening "a childrens farm" or "childrens corner" in  a farm shop.  Hmm ....seen the prices to get in some of these farms and corners - £2.50 per child I have seen!!  And 50p for a little bag of feed to give to the animals on their way round.  So, at those prices, they are well able to afford to pay me a decent price.

Hopefully, going to somewhere like that, in view of the public, you would think their standards of care towards the animals would be high?

My worst nightmare is the goats going, to say, someone who wanted them as pets, then the children go off them, and the goats are left neglected in a tiny plot with no food or water, and end up goodness knows where.  I know when we sell livestock, we cannot guarantee their future, but I like to do my best to ensure  they will be cared for.

Got to start sorting out the Anglo Nubian kids now .....and oh,dear ..... have fallen in love with three of the females......especially little un who was so small she was like a kitten, when born.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS