Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gosling with legs problem  (Read 7632 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Gosling with legs problem
« on: May 30, 2012, 08:45:58 pm »
One of the geese has had a lovely 6 brood of goslings and although they all seemed fine yesterday, she may have stood on one - it has its legs spread out to the sides rather than under it and although it is getting around it isn't right.  I know about the gosling getting wet / legs thing and if they drag them around too early their legs can go but neither of these things are relevant in this instance (no chance of getting wet and they are all in a nice sized house).  Anything I can do or will I have to cull it?
If I have to cull it, what is the best way.
Thanks for reading.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Gosling with legs problem
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 08:54:54 pm »
You can help this by fastening the legs together, above the 'knee' joint, so preventing them splaying but allowing some movement. They often sort out.

You make a 'figure of eight' with something soft like gauze bandage, with an extra turn around each leg - ie there's some distance between the legs but not too much. The 'sticks to itself but not to flesh' vet bandage is also very good for this, probably the best stuff truthfully.

Keep a close eye on it and renew bandage as gosling grows, gets it wet/dirty, until legs straight underneath on their own again.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 09:21:20 pm »
Thanks Jaykay, was hoping you would reply.  I've been googling it and it does seem it's possible to rectify the problem so will deal with that tomorrow via the vet bandage.  They were just born (looks like) yesterday or day before (just came off nest yesterday) and I managed to lure mum and dad to the goose house via goslings being carried in a bucket.  Checked them as I put them in the house which isn't cramped even with 2 adults and have made them a 4mx4m yard around the house.  There's straw on the floor (hay actually) on top of concrete slabs but there's enough that they won't slip.  Feeding them Smallholder Series duck and goose crumbs in milk just now.
Do you think mum and dad may have a problem with the bandage, should I separate the gosling.  Also do you think the stick/no stick bandage tape you get from a chemists shop would be ok (its quite a way to the vets from here).  Thanks in advance.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 10:18:07 pm »
If one of our goslings gets hurt being trodden on, and given their tendency to  all pile in to one corner at the slightest provocation this does happen when they are little, I just separate them out from the flock for a few days and they usually heal themselves up. At the minute our 'hatchery shed' has goslings and ducklings in separate  enclosures and the one I gosling that got a bit squashed spent three days in with the (much smaller) ducklings and has now recovered well enough to join the main group again.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:24:09 am »
I would watch how the parents go, and try not to separate it for now, as then you've got the hassle of reintegrating......The parents may pull at the bandage however, convinced something is wrong! If they won't co-operate, as Benkt says, separate within sight and sound of the others, while it mends.

Yes, whatever no-stick bandage you can get is fine, I use the chemists one often as not - tend to call it vet bandages as I first came across it there.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:54:23 am »
Thanks both for great advice, will let you know how I get on - will try and post some pics too so other users may benefit  :o

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 07:58:01 am »
if you're talking about 'bandy' legs we had three chicks hatch out last week that were all a bit splayed - a childs plaster, cut in half lengthways, then  the sticky bits wrapped aorund the legs to stop them splaying too much rectified the problem within 24-36 hours (bit longer for 'curly toes' who also had pipecleaner bionic 'toes' attached)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 08:03:03 am »
A "grippy" suface will help too. I love goslings :)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 08:54:44 pm »
OK, so I've done the figure of 8 but it keeps falling over and rolling on its back - think I need to put it in something which will support it - am I not doing it right, or any other suggestions, will have to keep it away from mum and dad tonight at least I think.

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 09:09:17 pm »
as well as the tape we often give them physio....... ok we hold them letting them stand in our hands so they have support (kids aregood for this as they have loads of patience).need to do it at first sign and it tends to heel quicker

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 09:30:33 pm »
That's it Manian, you have to help it practice a bit  :) 

I always forget to say stuff like that, I picture it but don't write it down  :&>

Did you get the figure of 8 above the joint?

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »
thanks both, yes I did do the figure of 8 but its neck muscles are weak and its used to dragging itself on the ground therefore in a horizontal position. I've had to wait until today for 2 of us to be there to do it, so its about 4/5 days old and has been this way from day 2.  It wants its chest on the floor to support it.  I've had to tape the lower legs too as the legs/feet were still splaying out a bit.  It is presently on the kitchen table in an upside down kids puppet which is keeping it both cosy and its head in an upright position with its legs/feet on something soft.  Think it will need a day or two to get the neck/head upright.  It's quite happy and eating away fine.  Just hope the happy couple will accept it back - will take it for a visit a couple of times tomorrow so they know it's still alive and recognise it.  It isn't stressed or calling for mum so hopefully we can work on it - a teeny baby swing would help  ::) .  See how it is in the morning.
Thanks everyone, there seems to be a good success rate for this and from things I've googled I don't think we're too late, hopefully.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 10:15:36 am »
I'm sure a teeny baby swing could be invented - as you say, sounds like what's needed  :)
Poor baby  :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS