Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: dodgy feed  (Read 1771 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
dodgy feed
« on: May 29, 2012, 09:53:16 pm »
got 2 bags of sow rolls last week.... next day pigs had diaharia, no interest in food, think they still have a bit but its nowhere near so runny...... looked at the rolls and several black ones in there plus a couple of wet mouldy ones in an unopened bag... took it back they swopped it but we checked the new bags and a few black ones in there, they should be golden brown, they said they would send it back for analising and while i was there they asked for a replacement batch to the one that had just arrived about 2 tons in bags from a major feed manufactor.......... waiting to see what results are the pigs are eating again and walking about, i origanally put the diaharia down to the hottest day we had that day

robert waddell

Re: dodgy feed
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 10:07:28 pm »
the black could be molasses and not mixed that well :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:04:50 am »
wasn't farmgate was it, HH had probs with them as i recall, we get the odd black pellet which as robert says is molasses its very brittle compared to other nuts.
in meantime make sure your pigs have plenty of water as the squits can make them dehydrated.
Mandy :pig:

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:10:08 pm »
Yes, we had problems with mouldy farmgate feed and it was Tiva Diva who sometimes posts on here who actually lost a couple of weaners and the vet had reckoned the mouldy feed was the cause.
There were widespread problems with it last year, but I think there was a post recently on RC about another feed supplier where the same thing seemed to be happening  :-\

If it smells sweet, feels hot or damp or you can see visible mould I wouldn't feed it Harry - better to be safe than sorry  :thumbsup:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:35:46 pm »
no not farmgate ...not saying yet as give them a chance to analise and maybe compensate as pigs s**t is a bit firmer but not right after 5 days..... feed may be ok but the retailer did find a wet hairy few in the bag, wasnt me as it hasnt rained since i got them, been hot and dry.... they replaced mine and returned the whole batch, waiting for verdict

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:29:01 pm »
We had this problem with a bag of D&H Turkey Grower last year, ended-up losing 2 before we noticed (the mouldy stuff was at the bottom of the bag ::)  ).  It only takes a small amount of mouldy feed to cause death or severe illness.
The problem was how the stockists had stored it  :o .  They did compensate us for the 2 birds, but we've learnt a lesson from it & empty the sacks out into the storage bins now (not just chuck them in & open the top).
 :love: :pig: :love:

Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS