Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Alternative to Orijen Dog Food  (Read 24277 times)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Alternative to Orijen Dog Food
« on: May 30, 2012, 10:23:23 am »
Orijen comes up consistently as a top dry dog food but also at a top price.

[size=78%]http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2299&cat=8[/size]

I am also a bit uncomfortable about the food miles (its Canadian, as seems to be any of the alternatives I can find). Not sure if the high protein/meat (80%) is strictly necessary for non/lightly -working dogs but don't want the low-meat/loads of fillers either.  I also had to feed minimum portions to  keep weight of my westies.

Anyone using/found a more reasonably priced, British/European grain free, high meat  dry dog food?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Alternative to Orijen Dog Food
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:29:52 am »
I have been using Dr Johns (Silver) for my dogs for years, they are in top condition for both work and show, shiny coats, plenty energy.  They are a high energy breed anyway so I can't give them much more than 20 to 21% protein, and not too much fat, although they do occasionally have a little olive oil added, and an egg every now and then(because I have them readily available and they enjoy them more than any other reason)

I have tried other more expensive brands over the last 30 years and found it made no difference to their condition so have always reverted to Dr Johns.

Feeding dogs is always a very subjective and arbitrary issue and I believe it has been discussed on here before, so you will no doubt get numerous different opinions.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 10:35:54 am »
I should have added that my dogs get a few scraps/ spare eggs so get added protein as well.

I will have a look at Dr Johns, thx.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:46:18 am »
We feed Carrs Billingtons own feed and do keep going back to it.  It's £9 for a 15kg sack and really suits them.  We've fed Skinners in the past, but it's £5 dearer and as we are feeding 11 dogs, it does get quite expensive. 

We have also found a supplier of minced meat, which we are feeding them in the morning. 

Agree with Annie, feeding dogs is very subjective and everyone has their own personal preference.  I just feed what I feel is best for my dogs, within a budget and have got dogs ranging from 1 year to 15 years who are all doing well.

Helen

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 11:57:55 am »
Couldn't find Carrs on web as a product; Dr John's unfortunately isn't cereal free.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:14:01 pm »
I use Symply dog foods as they get very high ratings and are high in proper meat and not fillers.
 They deliver to my door even in Aberdeenshire and the dogs love it. I get the senior light one and that has MSM/glucosamine in it for their joints.
It's made in the UK too.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:24:45 pm »
Couldn't find Carrs on web as a product; Dr John's unfortunately isn't cereal free.

The picture of it is on here http://www.carrs-billington.com/shop/farm-supplies-agricultural-equipment/pet-products/dog-food?product_id=94800131100

Just reread your post and you don't want anything cereal based so it would rule it out though.

Helen

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »
I work with someone who owns a  white Boxer who is intolerant/allergic to certain foods/additives and she was advised to use James Wellbeloved  food. It works for them and she swears by it.

Also Wainwrights do a cereal free dog food, I've seen it for sale at Pets at Home.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:49:31 pm »
Nothing that's cereal free will be cheap, cos cereal is the cheap filler.

I have one very allergic old dog on James Wellbeloved Large Breed - she is doing very well on it.
My 'perfectly fine and healthy' collie is on Dr John silver and the local feedstore unlabelled meat tins
My 'tendency to diabetes and therefore fat' collie is on Beta Light and the meat tins

The indoor cats are on Origen, and Bozita packets, both low carb to keep their weight under control

Lol, you can imagine feeding time here and that's before we start outside  :D

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:57:17 pm »
Heidi my little terrier is fine with anything so gets whatever the other dog/ s are having.
I've tried different types of dry feed but go back to eukanuba each time. The last 2 GSDs I tried on pro plan both suffered pa osteitis which cleared when put on eukanuba and a lurched with gut sensitivity did great on it where other feeds gave her the runs.
Poos are always little too so very little waste with it. which is great when picking it up on walks.

each to their own on this topic definately.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 08:42:02 am »
In the end I trialling Acana. Made by same company as Orijen but lower protein % (and cost) - £50v £70/80 for Orijen. Made with same ingredients apparently so should be same quality.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 10:18:29 am »
Why don't you make your own dog food, I buy the cheap mince and chicken from Tesco to add to my dogs food. Its cheaper than the pet mince and they love it. My lot get fresh veg most days and eggs now and again. I also get broken fish from my local fish shop when they have it. I bulk cook and freeze.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 11:03:08 am »
I was told by a supplier that many dog foods vary little in contents, as there are now strict guidelines as to what can be included ???  . Not sure if there is any truth in this. A lot of the more expensive dry dog foods upset my lads tummy and cheaper ones seem to suit him better.

My neighbour uses Dr Johns and when I looked after his dog, my very fussy boy seemed to enjoy this food too.

Could a vet advise you?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 11:43:08 am »
Salters are a small British company making high quality food, and they are very helpful to speak to.  Mr Salter will explain exactly what is is their foods but I'm not up to date with what they are producing.  They will deliver a min quantity of 3-4 bags if there is no local stockist.

Mine are now fed a dry food made locally - Futures.  They are also very helpful.

I did a nutrition study at college a  few years ago comparing different dog foods and it is a minefield  :-\ - and expensive does not always mean it is best for your dog.  Also lot of well-meaning and experienced folk have VERY different ideas ::) .

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 06:01:31 pm »
When we still had our muts we fed them Orijens and it was fantastic. At one point OH decided to switch to something cheaper but it didn't work out that was as we had to feed so much more of it. With the Orijens a little goes a long way - and we were feeding a Wolfhound so that makes a BIG difference  :D
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS