Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig Fight  (Read 10695 times)

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Pig Fight
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 02:22:25 pm »
I have seen guinea pigs, rabbits and goats all eating layers pellets and they are all still alive!
In fact I throw layers pellets in to my chickens who live 24/7 with over a dozen rabbits and the rabbits eat both layer pellet and rabbit mix.
I know plenty of people whose rabbits eat layer pellet and to be fair - there is no animal as sensitive as a rabbit...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 02:52:52 pm »
I know dogs, not pigs, but I also know what sex can do to normally calm animals.(including humans  ;) )

She's in season due to the change in surroundings, she tries to get him interested, he says b$$ger off, she retaliates.  Simples! as they say.
And I wouldn't feed them chicken pellets either, they are made for chickens not pigs, not cats, not dogs, not cows - chickens!!!!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 03:18:44 pm »
The amount of differing advice you get is ridiculous and totally contradictory but somebody must be right! All I can do is trial and error.
Hiya Luce,
Unfortunately there is never really a 'right' answer - if only there was  ;)  but everybodies set up varies slightly as do the individual pigs involved.
I feed 1lb of pig nuts per pig, per day. Mine have large paddocks and a fairly good supply of fruit and veg (maybe 2lbs each per day ish) They are a good weight, neither too fat or too skinny - you definitely don't want them getting too heavy, that's where the problems start.
I think the move of surroundings has unsettled them and they'll be a bit on edge, but the chicken food might well have something to do with it - best keep it away from them.
Give it another few days and see how they go, I know folks who keep Kunekune with goats without problems (always seperated at feeding time  ;) ) but let them get used to you first before trying any new introductions.
Give your gilt's tail a squirt of purple spray or get some wound powder on it, again, just to be on the safe side.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 04:01:36 pm »
And I wouldn't feed them chicken pellets either, they are made for chickens not pigs, not cats, not dogs, not cows - chickens!!!!

Who said I feed the pigs on chicken pellets?  ???

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2012, 05:26:08 pm »

Quote - I first threw some chicken grower pellet down the other day and the pigs snapped at the chicks and went crazy for their chick food. when eating the same old daily pig nuts they are much calmer.[/size]Perhaps its because they were picking up some chicken feed or something. that might be what started the fight.  - unquote.[/color]

Perhaps what I should have said is that I wouldn't let them have access to chicken food, I didn't mean to imply that you actually intentionally feed it - sorry. ::) [/size] [/color]
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 05:27:00 pm »

You wrote - I first threw some chicken grower pellet down the other day and the pigs snapped at the chicks and went crazy for their chick food. when eating the same old daily pig nuts they are much calmer.  Perhaps its because they were picking up some chicken feed or something. that might be what started the fight.

Perhaps what I should have said is that I wouldn't let them have access to chicken food, I didn't mean to imply that you actually intentionally feed it - sorry. ::)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 05:29:19 pm by doganjo »

Luce747

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2012, 07:47:02 pm »
meh its just me having a bad day. sometimes when youre new to an animal people can sound a bit condescending when giving advice and ive kept that many species from domesticated to zoo and wild animals that I am not the average under-researched newbie.

Just keen to do right by the pigs!

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 05:49:31 pm »
wonder if thats what gave mine the quits they got in my duck pen and tipped the feed bin over and had a good feed, see my new post DODGY FEED.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 06:36:10 pm »
Pics are great! They look fine to me, a nice size, are they beginning to settle?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 06:53:59 pm »
meh its just me having a bad day. sometimes when youre new to an animal people can sound a bit condescending when giving advice and ive kept that many species from domesticated to zoo and wild animals that I am not the average under-researched newbie.

Just keen to do right by the pigs!
To be fair the animal health people would throw a fit if they saw pigs having access to chicken food so peeps posting only have your best interests at heart.
eg Separation of the chicken feed from the other livestock feed was the thing our AH inspectors were interested in above all else when they visited, and they took samples to test for any element of cross contamination and once they were clear sent us a letter to say we had passed and authorising us to carry on feeding our chickens layers pellets (!) (not sure what they expected us to feed them on if we failed....:-))). As chicken feed ingredients are sometimes derived from non veggie ingredients in order to help chickens grow healthy bones etc even where it isnt apparent on the labelling or enquiry with the feed manufacturer.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 08:42:35 pm »
Lachlandmarcus,
I have all my food in galvanised dustbins, labeled on the lid and sides, mixed corn for chickens and geese, layers pellets, pig nuts, but all standing next to each other. Would this pass muster by AH?
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

robert waddell

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 08:59:07 pm »
no :( :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 08:15:53 am »
Sally, your layers pellets (but not your corn) must be kept at least 6 feet (or the equivalent in new money) away from your other feed.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 08:21:54 am »
Also, I meant to say, I bought four weaner pigs, three gilts and a castrate and put them in with my Kunes, dear amiable things that they are. Went up next day to find the castrate's tail had been bitten through (he was five months old) so assumed that he'd been trying it on with one of the Kune sows and she had objected. Sprayed it with purple spray and it was fine and he tasted lovely :yum:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 09:25:16 am »
Thanks Sylvia.  I have two stables, neither used for animal housing, so will put the layers pellets in the other one.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS