Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very busy bees  (Read 3288 times)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
Very busy bees
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:24:17 pm »
Wow! We've collected our third swarm in ten days. All three hives now full of buzzing bees and all before the rain forecast for later in the week.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Very busy bees
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:53:24 pm »
Crazy isn't it?  2 swarms a day for the last five days! 

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:27:00 pm »
Hoping my remaining hive won't after the steps taken at the weekend. Not convinced but next weekend is my first chance to AS them so will have to keep my fingers crossed.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 11:00:04 pm »
OH has her hands full with all her hives plus her mentor group's hives doing repeat swarms. The artificial swarm seems not to have worked well this year. I've lost count of the number:  an odd year.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:54:56 pm »
OH has her hands full with all her hives plus her mentor group's hives doing repeat swarms. The artificial swarm seems not to have worked well this year. I've lost count of the number:  an odd year.

In my opinion every year is odd when it comes to bee keeping, that's what keeps it interesting.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:30:11 pm »
Don't forget to treat the hived swarms for varroa and nosema   as soon as they are settled in ..no point in growing big problems etc.
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 05:03:28 pm »

We just count the varroa that drop through to the bottom of the hive where we have a white sheet.  There isn't any chemical treatment available anyway for this time of year, is there?   If the weekly numbers rose significantly we'd using icing sugar but it annoys the bees so we only treat when there's a proven need.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 06:21:11 pm »
Just got my first swarm collected last week, nearly had another but didnt have a spare hive in time. I know an old keeper in the next village been keeping bees 30 years and has lost 10 hives already this year. My original hive was getting full but i hope ive resolved that by putting some brood from that hive in with the new, should also give them a boost with numbers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS