Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best way to sharpen shears  (Read 23694 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
best way to sharpen shears
« on: May 28, 2012, 10:02:15 pm »
I'm having a fecking nightmare; my spanking new shears have been awesome but are not as blunt as anything - flew through my first three ewes but they went dull on the fourth and it take an absolute age. I've got a sharpening stone but it doesn't seem to be doing the business.

Any top tips? Sharpening angles/direction/tools (dremel?)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: best way to sharpen shears
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:16:53 pm »
It won't be a problem with the sharpening stone, it will be the way you are using it.

Difficult to explain how to do it - you really need to get someone to show you and even then you may or may not find you are good at it. Seems to be one of those things you either can do, or can't.

My OH taught me to sharpen things many years ago and now if he needs anything (other than shears) sharpened he gets me to do it for him.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 10:22:20 pm »
You may need a finer sharpening stone.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:15:45 am »
This guy is using a wheel, but it's useful I think still
How to Sharpen Tools : Sharpening Sheep Shears

[quote]How Often To Sharpen?How often do I need to sharpen my blades during shearing? Is one pair of blades enough? And what kind of stone should I use?
I sharpen, or hone, my blades after each sheep I shear. It means a little setting up for this, and fifteen seconds taken between sheep.
It also means a final bevel on the blades that is ground thin enough to be responsive to this light honing.
The idea is to keep a very sharp edge. If you have the knowledge to do this I'd recommend it. Sharp shears make the work easier, the effort of the hand, and attending effort of the mind, less.
If you are using the smaller Number 10 blades and have not pulled them back to take more wool at a clip, and don't grind the bevel thin, then a good bench-top sharpening can be sufficient for shearing 10 to 20 sheep,depending on the shearing.
This is what I remember from once shearing this way. I'd carry two shears, plus an older pair as a backup, and sharpen at a bench each morning before going off. The kind of sheep, and the time of year though, make a difference—the density and strength of the wool, the grease and sweat present.
A diamond stone, soft Arkansas, or common "hardware-store stone" will do for sharpening.
Lubricate the stone with soapy water, or a honing oil. "Three-In-One" brand lubricant (used for sewing machines) does well.

A new stone needs to be soaked, in either the water or the oil, so the lubricant floats the abraded metal particles from the stone's surface 

Ok, failing to make either the quote or the pre-WYSIWYG way work, but here is a shepherd talking about keeping shears working.

I must sharpen my dagging shears.......
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:21:21 am by jaykay »

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:44:15 am »
Me too - I'm OK at sharpening my other work tools, but I seem to have actually made my shears blunter Aggghhh!!  Will watch clip when internet permits, thanks.

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:16 am »
For my gardening equipment I use a sharpening stone and some 3-in-1 oil as described earlier but my best efforts never seem to stay sharp for long. I suspect that will probably the result of my limited knowledge and experience so hopefully it will improve over time...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 09:04:19 am »
Sometimes if you have sharpened a blade alot, you may be sharpening into the shoulder and it will need peening - i.e. the endge will need to be hammered thin again.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 09:16:47 am »
I have found Jakoti shears to be fantastic for hand shearing my Greyface Dartmoors, they are self sharpening to a degree but a little rub over the stone gets them tip top again. They are extremely sharp, and I have removed pieces of myself before now! Most shearing suppliers stock them and they are about 20 quid a pair.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 06:19:41 pm »
I wouldn't recomment Jakoti shears for mountain or primative breeds - they have too many corners.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:39:09 pm »
The shears or the sheep?  :D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:54:39 pm »
Bu**ger!  Went out and bought some just before your post - it was the 'self sharpening' that tempted me!  Hope my Beulahs haven't got too many corners!  Will let you know!

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:18:47 pm »
GFDs have lots of wrinkles and are very easy to cut, whatever the breed you need to be careful!
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 10:25:46 pm »
Having clipped with the hand shears on anumber of occasions I can fully endorse the joys of electric and the handpiece!! Fair play to you,your harier than I! It looks good and sounds lovely with the hand shears but I'll stick to the machine all the same! :D
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 08:56:41 am »
Hi TheCaptain,

The problem is probably the shears, what make are they?
All new shears are only fit for dagging really, most blade shearers set their own shears and grind them until razor sharp.
If you are shearing a lot of sheep then the shears could do with setting, I could give you instructions.
The best way to sharpen shears for doing a few is a quite coarse oil stone to keep a flat edge.

Hope this helps,
Philip :sheep:

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:18 am »
burgon and ball - I've got two sets; one dagging and one shearing set. I've ground the dagging set and they are now sharp as hell and working really well. I didn't want to grind my actual shearing set as I thought the sharpening implement supplied would keep them sharpish. Not so much! Off to grind them now!!!

p.s. Have seen somewhere that some people give a slight grind on the opposite side of the blade too - recommended or just one side?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS