Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mountfield ride on mower - help!  (Read 27949 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Mountfield ride on mower - help!
« on: May 28, 2012, 02:28:39 pm »
I am cursing my damned mower as it is on the blink again. Turns over but doesn't fire.  Battery is fully charged, petrol isn't old, spark plug been removed and checked, all safety switches are in order  - so what is it?
Wish I'd never bought a Mountfield - thought it was good name - apparently not so any more!
behindthetimes.com and haveverylonggrass.com
HELP!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

Re: Mountfield ride on mower - help!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:45:20 pm »
when was it last used
is there a spark    you will either need to hold the end of the plug lead or take it out and hold against the engine to see the spark
they have safety starts that connect when you sit on the seat if it has not been used in a while the carb could be gummed up with all the additives they put in it
try starting without the choke
when you try to start it does the engine flood (wet spark plug) :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 03:30:51 pm »
Last used about 10 days ago. Was going fine then started to stutter. i.e. when started up after emptying grass it ran for a couple of minutes then stopped.  Thought it was fuel and filled it up.  Think I overfilled it but it has had time to dry out since then.

It doesn't have a choke, just a lever for the hare and the tortoise.  You push it up past the hare to start then pull back when it fires.  It just doesn't catch on any setting.

It won't do anything at all at any time  unless all the safety switches are off - sitting on seat, brake on, cutting blades raised, gear in neutral.  So can't test for a spark.

And I have a forest out at the front - anyone lend me some goats? ;D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:33:21 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 03:36:47 pm »
dirt in the carb or at least the jet is blocked
get a cph number and some pigs you wont have any grass to cut ;D ;D ;D :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 03:45:29 pm »
dirt in the carb or at least the jet is blocked
get a cph number and some pigs you wont have any grass to cut ;D ;D ;D :farmer:
How do I find the jet? Can I poke a needle in it?
Oh ha ha - don't like pigs.  Anyway they'd get nicked over here.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 03:55:54 pm »
there should be a screw with a spring at the back of it note its position (where the slot is )turn it in gently and count how many turns or part turns it takes to seat don't tighten it it will bugger the seat then turn-it all the way out and don't lose the spring or screw then get a straw or small bore rubber pipe and blow into the hole  if it is the same engine as mine there is also a plug on the bottom of the fuel bowl  you can take the bowl off and inspect for dirt in the bowl or water then just reassemble everything but remember to have the needle valve set the same as it was when you screwed it out    same position    try the bowl first you will need to clamp the fuel pipe to stop the petrol running out
bet your glad i am on here now ;) :farmer:

Bangbang

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 05:38:45 pm »
I think I'm stating the obvious, but my mountfield has a built in sensor in the seat
so it wont start unless your sat on it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »
I think I'm stating the obvious, but my mountfield has a built in sensor in the seat
so it wont start unless your sat on it.
Yup, that's the one.  Not going to try any of that Robert.  I'm an accountant not a flipping engineer. ;D

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 09:00:23 pm »
I think as Bangbang. The sensor in my seat on a Countax was a bit dodgy and I had to bounce on the seat a few times at the beginning of the season before it would start. I also had to use Easy Start spray into the air intake.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 09:39:53 pm »
Where do I find the air intake.  The seat sensor is fine.  All the other sensors are fine too.  It was servied about a couple of months ago, and it was all checked out.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 08:16:40 am »
the air intake is on top of the carb  that is not the problem it is fuel   either dirt or water or starvation
is it a briggs and stratton engine :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 09:53:06 am »
A Briggs & Stratton wouldn't have given me any trouble!  I think it's a Mountfield own one.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 12:06:24 pm »
Fuel, spark, compression.

Start by spraying easy start in the air filter - see if it fires. - if it does then it a fuel problem if it doesnt its either a spark problem or a major engine fault.

If it doesnt fire then change the plug - sometimes a plug will spark when under no compression - ie outside the engine but not when installed.

If none of these work stick your finger over the spark plug hole and turn the engine over - it should puff and not suck.

If you find you have a fuel problem sometimes blocking the air inlet with your hand and turning the engine over with the throttle fully on 'hare' will pull through a blockage.  Sometimes tapping the carb with a spanner can drop any stuck floats.

Best of luck - damned machines never work when you want them!!

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »
but fun to work on  :thumbsup: :farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 03:01:00 pm »
I can't get the plug out myself. Bloomer did it for me last time. But it's been checked anyway.

Where do I find the air filter?  or the air inlet? Where do I get easy start? 

I'm not sticking my fingers anywhere near an engine. :'(

I think my best plan is find another man. ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS