Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pot size trees  (Read 6690 times)

GordonsGarden

• Joined Mar 2009
  • South Devon
pot size trees
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:05:54 am »
Can you buy apricot,peach,plum and cherry trees suitable for growing in pots as i dont have a lot of spare room?.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: pot size trees
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:46:38 am »
Yup! Quite a few peach/plum/cherry trees these days are grafted onto different root stock. It's just a question of finding the right root stock that will grow in a pot.Ask at your local nursery.
 I've just bought two black cherry trees,9 ft tall and they were in 10ltr pots! Had a 12ft olive tree for 4 years in a 25ltr pot and would have stayed there for a good 10yrs more.
 Most nurseries will give you the 20-40ltr (black polyprop with handles) pots for free (or small donation) as it costs them more to have them steralised than to buy new ones........Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 01:10:29 pm »
as well as miniture trees you can also get trees that grow 2 types of apple on them and trees that are self fertile - so no pollination partner needed

you can also train them as a fan/cordon if you wanted to save some space.

if you follow this link http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/choosing-the-right-fruit-trees.htm and then cllick on the ROOTSTOCK link it will tell you all the different rootstocks, sizes and types for different trees

it's way to detailed to cut and paste!!

also speak to the nursery about trees suitable for your environment, some are hardier than others

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 02:01:59 pm »
They sound good.  Hopefully in the future you will be able to get them growing ready peeled and sliced for the pies ;D

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 03:13:08 pm »
I'm thinking about growing some in my polytunnel. Thanks for the link - if I find miniture trees will it work? otherwise will have to give up the dream of friut trees as live on a cold windy hill- the blossum doesn't stand a chance!
Lynne

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 03:20:29 pm »
my worry about growing a tree in a tunnel would be that the thing would gow big enough to pierce the cover!!

the other worry would be polination - unless you choose self fertile types. you generally need a breeze to carry the pollen between trees, not so easy to get a draft inside a tunnel

where abouts are you? you get LOADS of trees suited to grow in the UK climate, so you are bound to find a suitable variety that will do perfectly well outdoors (OK, if you are up past caithness/sutherland/Orkney etc you might struggle!!)

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 03:42:08 pm »
we're on an exposed hill top on the lanarkshire/ayrshire border with nothing but sheep fences for miles. I'm building in wind breaks but they will take years to grow/build.

Pollination was my first worry about growing them in a tunnell but obviously hadn't thought all the issues through. I mean DUH (homer simpson moment) sharp wooden things will pierce plastic. I'd considered the tunnel blowing away but not being so silly as to grow things inside it that would add to its demise...
thanks for the wake up-should have engaged brain before getting carried away.

looks like its back to the drawing board. I've always wanted an orangery.....

Lynne

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 04:49:02 pm »
depends on the size of your tunnel, miniture trees won't get soo big - plus, they don't grow so fast that you couldn't get a pair of lopers to them!!

there is a thread on here about using windbreaks - think there is some good netting that can be put up to provide suitable wind cover, and if you plant some willow, that'll grow fast enough to be woven together to create a wind break

have a hunt for the thread on growing trees on an exposed site

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 05:00:21 pm »
Thanks-will do!

planning on a tunnel 30' by 14' and if I keep them in tubs- I can always move them- checked out the link to the fruit tree nursery so know what I'm looking for now.

now to find the windbreak thread...
Lynne

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 05:33:10 pm »
Found it- thanks sellickbhoy!
this forum is just a treasure trove!
will probably have to wait until winter to plant trees now but have all summer to get ready.
cheers
Lynne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS