Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: wrongly collected swarm- chances of survival  (Read 1889 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
wrongly collected swarm- chances of survival
« on: May 26, 2012, 09:09:21 pm »
...Hi all- I have been given a swarm...or should I say part of a swarm as it now turns out (dropped from the tree into a box and then taken away without allowing for the rest of the colony to enter new box- apparently about 10% are still there at the swarm site!). Anyway- they have been placed into a new hive and seem to have taken (with workers fanning the entrance indicating the queen is there?). From others experience will this new colony survive OK or is it doomed?
Your thoughts would be great  :)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: wrongly collected swarm- chances of survival
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:19:48 pm »
Depends on the size of the swarm. If it's covering about 4 frames it's a nuc and provided the Queen is with it it should be able to build up, best thing to do is to give it some feed to help it draw out the comb.
It's very difficult to get every single bee from a swarm, some are always flying round as you first approach them. The flying bees which you disturb when you gather  the swarm will sometimes loose sight of what they're doing and either go 'home' or persist at trying to settle in the original swarm sight.
Generally I leave my skep propped up slightly for about 20 min and most of them find their way in. If you watch them you'll see if bees are mostly going in or mostly coming out, if it's the latter the Queen has been missed.
Swarm gathering is complicated by the location of the swarm I once had one at the top of a tree, triple extending ladders and me on the very top of them. Got the swarm down, left the skep propped up went back an hour later they were all in the top of the tree again. Having risked life and limb once they stayed there and eventually moved into a house opposite.
12 months later they swarmed again into the guys cherry tree and I gathered them from there.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 10:18:58 am by moleskins »
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS