Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac injector  (Read 2471 times)

Advertisement

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Heptavac injector
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:01:38 pm »
 A few months ago, when  buying Heptavac at the local agri. store (very well known), I was persuaded to also buy the Heptavac injector.  I did not like the idea of using the same needle on all the sheep but could see the advantages of using a multiple injector.  I used it on the ewes successfully pre-lambing, and cleaned it thoroughly.
 Today I have tried to use it again for the lambs but the liquid is trickling down the outside of the tube below the 'gun'.  In the end I gave up and went back to individual jabs - but I have wasted 5 doses out of 25.  Has anyone else any experience of these multiple injectors please?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: Heptavac injector
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 09:08:20 am »
We have just a plasticky little gun thing and change the needle between each jab. I get the cheap one and get a new one every year as they don't seem to have any endurance.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Heptavac injector
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:11:51 am »
I used Heptavac-P on the moorland farm, where we were injecting 530-ish ewes each year, 60-ish of them twice, and never had any problem.

It sounds as though the needle is not quite properly seated in the seal?  Or maybe a split in the tube? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS